free website stats program Starter/Kicker problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter/Kicker problem

riderrob

I have a 79 FXS, burnt out the electric starter, thought I might have fried the battery also, charged it up and it stays at 12.7V, put the battery back into the bike and tried to kick it over, wouldnt start, got spark, fuel, push starts no problem, should I disconnect every wire to the electric starter?
Figure someone out there can set me on the right track before the snow flies.

cheers

Welcome to the forum riderrob! I'm not much of an electrical guy but I do ride a 73' shovel and it can be a bear to kick. One way to tell if your battery is shot, once you got her runnin you should be able to idle and cruz but if you hammer on it it will spit and sputter on you. If you can push start it, it will kick. Try more gas to get started. My shovel is a gas hog for kick starting. Try four or five twists of the wick, kick her through two or three times with the switch off. Turn it on, another twist and jump on her. It works for me. they all have their own quirks when it comes to kick starting. Also, check your valve adjustment. If they are not right it will give you a bad time as well. Good Luck!

Hey, welcome, and as Tramp60 stated they all have their own unique habits to start. I had a 1965 xlch, that baby was kick start only no battery, just had a magneto. For me I had to check the points on mag then had to finnally have the mag remagnitized. Don't know what else to add to it just make sure your points are spot on. Good luck brother, I remember that my right leg was more muscular then left leg due to all the kicking!!! LOL!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guy's, she has electronic ignition so no points prob, will keep kickin the beast till she starts or my leg breaks.

have a good one.

What carb you running? On my 79 FX with a S&S super E I give 2 full twists of the throttle , kick through slowly with ign off, open enricher, turn ign on and give her a go. My 66 FLH same carb and same way. Good luck you just got to make sure everything is tuned properly and find the way it likes it. This is the way they like to start cold. Warm start kick them through once with no throttle and no enricher. And if they are flooded go with key off, throttle wide open and kick through slowly 2 or 3 times.

also running an S&S super E, I was not having a problem when I used the electric starter she ran great, however I fried the electric starter last week, myself and another brother who used to run a 79 shovel kicked the(EDIT) forever with no luck, thanks hobo55 I,ll try you're method.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
My kick procedure for my '68 Shovel is just like Hobo's, except I have a Super B (no accel. pump, so twists don't help). It starts reliably within 3 kicks, cold or hot.

problem solved, new starter, solenoid, 4ga wires, fired up right away, apparently the Dyna 2000I electronic ignition in my bike will not start with the kicker, the crank has to make a complete rotation to fire the coil, go figure.

Back