free website stats program Starter Jackshaft seal - quick question | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Jackshaft seal - quick question

Amish Hawg

Contributor
I'm chasing a leak on my '03 FLHRCI. I have the primary broken down to replace # 13 and 14 of the diagram below. The O ring also.
( I think it was Bodeen's post I got the jpg from.....thanks)

Question - Am I safe in just "tapping" out the old seals? rubber mallet tapping a socket

I'm also changing the shifter seal, but I think I have that. drill, screw, etc...

Maybe from reading too much on here....I'm just not finding the answer.

Thanks and have a great Sunday

Attachments

• Primary.jpg
    Primary.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 39
I'm chasing a leak on my '03 FLHRCI. I have the primary broken down to replace # 13 and 14 of the diagram below. The O ring also.
( I think it was Bodeen's post I got the jpg from.....thanks)

Question - Am I safe in just "tapping" out the old seals? rubber mallet tapping a socket

I'm also changing the shifter seal, but I think I have that. drill, screw, etc...

Maybe from reading too much on here....I'm just not finding the answer.

Thanks and have a great Sunday

That will work fine, do not hit the rubber part of the seal, drive it in square, I pre lube all seals, just my way:s

So i changed seals, got everything back on. My gut was telling me it was going too well.........I was right.

I have no clutch at the handle. nothing. Prior to taking the clutch pack off, i could see the clutch plate reacting when I squeezed the clutch handle.

I broke it all back down just to retrace my steps. I'm not seeing anything I am missing.

OR.....is it normal to have to readjust the clutch after reinstalling the clutch pack?

I know its something right in front of me...........point me in the right direction please.:swoon

Ya'll have a great week.

So i changed seals, got everything back on. My gut was telling me it was going too well.........I was right.

I have no clutch at the handle. nothing. Prior to taking the clutch pack off, i could see the clutch plate reacting when I squeezed the clutch handle.

I broke it all back down just to retrace my steps. I'm not seeing anything I am missing.

OR.....is it normal to have to readjust the clutch after reinstalling the clutch pack?

I know its something right in front of me...........point me in the right direction please.:swoon

Ya'll have a great week.

Harley Davidson Community try this :s

What does this mean? Does this mean that the clutch lever is all the way at the grip, or is there resistance, but just no throw at the clutch plates?

TQ

Have you taken up the slack at the clutch cable adjuster? This is the long nut about half way down the cable that you loosened before you removed the primary cover.

HDDon......nope, I didnt do that. didnt know I was supposed to.

TQ - handle all the way to the grip, no resistance.....loose. almost like no cable there.

I'll re-assemble and do the Glider method of adjustment, unless ya'll tell me to go another way.

I'll take pics as I go if needed.

Thanks again

Back