free website stats program starter engauges itself | Harley Davidson Forums

starter engauges itself

Dan o

after i start my bike with the push button switch the starter keeps engauging itself when the bike is running.even when im doing 50 mph it engauges itself out of nowhere can it be a switch or a loose wire please help

Could be a short in "across the start switch button wire connections" or it could be the start relay contact "sticking", or it could be a "broken spring" in the solenoid that allows the contacts to come together engaging the starter when you hit a bump.

The first thing is, did you do some recent electrical work around the handlebar controls, starter drive or near the fuse/start relay areas? I would start where you did any rework that required you to "dig in" and inadvertently caused some collateral damage.

hey thanks bro .i leave my bike outside so im wondering if the switches got a little rusty.i sprayed them with some lube but it still does it.i have not done any work to it that would cause this.when i first start the bike from the switch it works fine.i guess im gonna take the switch apart and start there

hey thanks bro .i leave my bike outside so im wondering if the switches got a little rusty.i sprayed them with some lube but it still does it.i have not done any work to it that would cause this.when i first start the bike from the switch it works fine.i guess im gonna take the switch apart and start there

I would pull the switches off the bars at least on the right side and dissassemble them. See if they are all corroded up (sort of a green colored salt). Scape that off and then clean with contact cleaner (don't get it on your paint!). Then spray with lube and reassemble. Spray again and then mount the switch gangs back on the bars.

Try that anyway. At least you will eliminate the easy stuff.

TQ

Last edited:
If you unplug the starter relay after starting it and go for a ride, you'll find out if it is the solenoid or the bike wiring doing it if it doesn't crank again while riding. If it does do it, then the solenoid is probably the cause.

hey thanks guys it turned out to be the switch.so in order to ride this weekend i had to eliminate the handlebar switch and put in a push button on the celanoid.now i just have to reach down to start my bike.no big deal thanks again

Don't discount Glider's advise on this. I had the same problem three weeks ago and did exactly what he suggested. $7 and a new relay later, I am having no problems.:p

Back