starter crash

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by bus driver, Jan 26, 2011.

1. bus driver

bus driver Member

I have a 91 Electraglide that sometimes when I engage the starter it sounds like it's crashing the pinion gear against the clutch ring gear. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. Somebody told me it could be a low output by the battery. I always keep it on a battery tender and the battery seems fine. Before I tear it all apart, I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this problem before. When it does it I immediatley abort the start, so I don't know what would happen if I held ther starter button longer. Actually I don't want to know. Thanx

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

First I would load test that battery, next I would be looking at replacing the starter drive JMO

3. karlsbike

karlsbike Active Member

Hi BusDriver
    I had exactly the same problem on mine (see below;)
    Yes, your battery is shot...
    After this started happening intermittently I bought a new, low-cost battery that was ok for a few months, but then the nasty sounds came back. The starter jack-shaft did not engage the ring gear fully, and it chipped off the 'corners' of my clutch ring gear.
    I ended up replacing the battery with a H-D AGM battery, and I've never looked back. I didn't do anything with the ring gear, except smoothen the sharp corners that were broken off a bit. Now it is 7 years or so later, and I still have the same starter, jack shaft ass'y and ring gear - even the same battery(!), and no problems...
    The battery will be replaced this winter, but that thing has really impressed me.

4. btsom

btsom Active Member

Perhaps it is because I just changed a starter drive for similar symptoms that I suggest you also check for that failure. Before removing the starter I checked inside the primary drive for the condition of the clutch ring gear and starter pinion. They were both in perfect condition. Having heard the noise before with a different machine, I was very confident at that point that the sprag clutch was in the process of failing. Pulling and disassembling the starter revealed NO damaged gears so I replaced the starter drive. It has only been a week so there have been very few starts on the new drive, but so far no more grinding noises.

5. bus driver

bus driver Member

Thanx for the advise. I'll try getting a battery from HD, and also i'll take a peek inside my primary. Parden the pun i'll keep you posted. Bus Driver

6. karlsbike

karlsbike Active Member

And when you do, pay particular attention to the ring gear teeth for signs of chipping/damage.
    I did not mean to give you the only possbile solution; remote fault-finding is not easy whan you cannot see/hear the problem, and it could of course be your starter clutch. I just got a definitive flash-back when I read your description and saw what fine vintage scoot you're riding!
    Good luck, and let us know what you find.

7. bus driver

bus driver Member

As soon as I can get the 5 feet of snow away from the front of my barn (garage) I'll let you know. But thanx for all the advise. Bus Driver.

8. karlsbike

karlsbike Active Member

Hey BusDriver - you're worse off than us;) We've had a mild period now, and it's only about a foot or so of snow left. But, I would dig in there - working on the bike is the best way to cure the winter blues...
    Speaking of which, this year I'll be insulating my garage. Steel is too cold to handle at -10/15C (10F or so)

9. bus driver

bus driver Member

If I insulate my barn, my Wife might want to come and hangout and give me "advise" at what I am doing wrong. Either way it's going to be cold. Thanx Bus Driver