free website stats program Starter Clutch Kit problems RK Police 2008 | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Clutch Kit problems RK Police 2008

Hello,

In 2010, bought a RK Police 2008 with 8000 miles on it. At 12.000 miles Starter Clutch made a "vvvvvvvv"-sound and motor didn't start anymore, so replacement of the starter lutch kit, a friend of mine with 2008CVO RK (changed 3 in a laps of 14000 miles) told me to take the new reference : 31633-07A (the former reference was 31633-07, without A), thinking HD reinforced that item. Did exactly 4000 miles with it, so one year after mounting it, same problem. My question : is this normal?????? Do other people have the same problems and what's the solution? I mean, using starter clutch kits more often then rear tires..... :)

Thx a lot,

Geert - Morocco

is this normal??????

Is the engine factory stock w/ stock cams. Were any changes made to the ignition spark advance mapping? Are you running the factory Delphi ECM.

Once you install a new starter clutch, does the engine start quickly on the 1st attempt or does it turn several times... you then release finger..crank again & then it starts. Do you experience any "kick back" when you attempt to start the engine.
Can you hear the compensator bottom out while cranking.

Are you running HD 6R12 plugs? Name brand high test fuel or anything will do.

@ Hoople

Since 3 months (but 3000 miles) I put SE-255 cams in it.In the beginning with the standard SE smart tuner configuration (SE air cleaner, V&H Mufflers, SE-255 cams). Bike always started immediatley.
6 weeks ago (and +/-1500 miles) : we did some smart tune runs to optimise the standard configuration, but I don't think we changed the ignition spark advance yet.
I did not yet put a new starter clutch in it, dealer don't has any in stock for the moment (we are living in Morocco :D). Should wait about 2 weeks to get it so for the moment I can not answer that question.
The sparks in the engine : I should ask the dealer as he effectuates the maintenance, I check that out today and tell you.
BTW : the original starter clutch lasted 12.000 miles (standard engine) but in my opinion, that is not a high mileage eather....
Thanx a lot for your help,

Geert

I did not yet put a new starter clutch in it, dealer don't has any in stock for the moment

I would expect to get better than 12K on a sprag clutch. You need to dismantle what you now have to see if that is really what the current problem is.

If your in the habit of starting the engine while the tranny is in gear with the clutch lever pulled in,, stop doing that right now. That is very hard on the starter.
Start the bike in neutral only.

What are you using for primary fluid and tranny fluid. Parasitic drag of the gear box is unavoidable but will add to the problem.

What is the cold & hot compression numbers while cranking. Check it using a quality compression gauge. If you are throttle by wire, you will need to find a means to wire back the throttle body butterfly when you check it because with throttle by wire, the ECM overrides the twist grip position. You must check compression while the butterfly is wide open. Be sure to ground the spark plug wires so you don't puncture the epoxy coil.

If your still using the Delphi ECM and SE tuner only, you can't change cranking spark timing so that should be OK. You shouldn't have cranking kick back unless your fuel is very low grade/quality.

Back