free website stats program started disassembly | Harley Davidson Forums

started disassembly

I am taking my newly purchased 1991 Dyna Glide Sturgis edition down to the frame and doing a complete rebuild or restore (still not sure which).Here are a few pics before starting and where I stopped this weekend. Plan on getting the Motor and Trans out next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 56
Was there anything "Sturgis" left on the bike when you got it? I see the wheels, timer and derby have been changed. Does it still have the serial # plate on the headlight eyebrow? The Sturgis is a fine looking bike, I had one for about 7 days.

Not sure what else is original to the bike. Engine serial # matches up an transmission says Sturgis 5spd. Not sure if tins and tank are original or not. I am still trying to decide if it will be a restore or rebuild and customize it. What would you do.

7 days why such a short period of time?

I had just bought a '92 Dyna Glide Custom, and I stumbled across the Stugis for sale at a good price. I bought it with the intention of selling the Dyna Glide. This was early '93 when there were waiting lists for Harleys. The guy that came to look at the Dyna decided he wanted the Sturgis instead. He offered enough money to convince me to keep the Dyna.
Restoring it to a Sturgis would be my choice, but probably be costly finding the wheels and such. I've not seen any Sturgis' sell for much more than Dyna's.

Another weekend and this is where the bike is at in the disassembly process. Not many issues up to this point. A few things I need to look into are when I drained the transmission there are two drain plugs one regular looking oil came out of the other had the milky oil (like you get with oil and water mixing) hoping just a bad seal or gasket and not a cracked case. The second issue was the backside of the primary chain case has two bolts that bolt to nothing and had a ton of clear form a gasket on the inside and outside (seen in photos).

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3150.jpg
    IMG_3150.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3151.jpg
    IMG_3151.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 33
marshall,

I can't offer any advice on your rebuild, I'm a bit under qualified. However, I do want to complement you on your pictures. Please keep posting updates. I'd like to see what the out come will be.

If you'd still like an opinion, I hope you will do a restoration.

Cheers!
Ferrous

I do not know about the bolts on the primary do look strange though but on the oil drain plugs one is for engine oil the other is the gearbox oil as the engine oil tank is mounted to the base of the gearbox

Brian

Back