free website stats program start up problems | Harley Davidson Forums

start up problems

everettt

I am having problems starting my 01 heritage. The pump seems to pressure up and it runs for 2 seconds and dies. It does the same every start up. I have plenty of fuel. It fires up everytime but doesn't continue to run .

I am having problems starting my 01 heritage. The pump seems to pressure up and it runs for 2 seconds and dies. It does the same every start up. I have plenty of fuel. It fires up everytime but doesn't continue to run .

check for pin holes in the line inside that gas tank

the bike starts up and runs for about 1 or 2 seconds and then quits. I hear the pump prime the fuel injection in the start mode. No fuel gets to the system to keep it going.

the bike starts up and runs for about 1 or 2 seconds and then quits. I hear the pump prime the fuel injection in the start mode. No fuel gets to the system to keep it going.

It definitely sounds like it could be the pin-hole problem in the plastic fuel tubing inside the tank like discussed in the link that SilverSurfer posted. Check that out.

And now for something completely different! What were the last few things you did to the bike BEFORE this problem developed? Any mods, maintenance, cleaning, just bought a tank of gas, etc.? Just for grins, reach up under the tank and make sure that the injector wires are firmly seated in their connectors.

If you pull the fuel pump et al out of the tank to check the hoses, get your eyeball and a flashlight in the tank and see if there is any water at the bottom. You'll see it easily if it is there.

TQ

Tech Tips #56
July 22, 2002
No Start Condition
We have had reports of a no start condition on several motorcycles with Delphi fuel injection. The problem occurs one time and does not return, so is difficult to diagnose. When the condition occurs, a P1010 code - missing password, is normally set. There have been a few reports of a P1009 code - incorrect password also. We are still investigating the cause but it appears the turn signal module did not get a complete message from the ecm at ignition ON so the engine starts and stalls or cranks but will not start. If you receive a call from a customer with this condition, or have one in your service department, try removing the ecm and security fuses, wait a few seconds and reinstall the fuses. We have found this "reboots" the turn signal module and the motorcycle will then start from that point on. The historic codes will remain for 50 starts or until cleared.
Might be worth a check?
If the ful pump keeps running when you turn the ign. on, or shuts off then comes back on in a shot peroid of time would make me think the system has a pin hole leak. A dealer could run a fuel pressure test for a min. shop charge.

I have an update--I switched 2 fuses -1-fuel pump, and -2-ECM fuses, with each other and the Bike runs. Both fuses looked good so I replaced them anyway. the "check engine light" comes on and stays on for about 5 seconds and goes out--the bike doesn't seem to stumble or stall. Could there be any deeper problem ?

As long as the light goes out after a few seconds, It's a historic code. It will reset itself after 50 start run cycles of 30 seconds or more each or the dealer can put it out for you.

Tech Tips #56
July 22, 2002
No Start Condition
We have had reports of a no start condition on several motorcycles with Delphi fuel injection. The problem occurs one time and does not return, so is difficult to diagnose. When the condition occurs, a P1010 code - missing password, is normally set. There have been a few reports of a P1009 code - incorrect password also. We are still investigating the cause but it appears the turn signal module did not get a complete message from the ecm at ignition ON so the engine starts and stalls or cranks but will not start. If you receive a call from a customer with this condition, or have one in your service department, try removing the ecm and security fuses, wait a few seconds and reinstall the fuses. We have found this "reboots" the turn signal module and the motorcycle will then start from that point on. The historic codes will remain for 50 starts or until cleared.
Might be worth a check?
If the ful pump keeps running when you turn the ign. on, or shuts off then comes back on in a shot peroid of time would make me think the system has a pin hole leak. A dealer could run a fuel pressure test for a min. shop charge.

Who's Tech Tip is it...if HD's why is it not available somewhere (like online...now that would be a stretch).:s

Back