free website stats program Stalling, no speedometer,odometer dark, turn signals flash 5 times | Harley Davidson Forums

Stalling, no speedometer,odometer dark, turn signals flash 5 times

dcole55

2002 Roadking

OK so it could be the speed sensor based on searching this forum. I took the speed sensor out and reseated it. It has a plastic or rubber coating on the end.

Would the speed sensor affect the odometer being dark/not visible? Because if the speed sensor wouldn't affect it, then my problem is not the speed sensor.

What do you think the problem is?

I have a 03 FLHT and I just went thru almost the same thing. Speedo wouldn't work right, odometer wouldn't work, turn signals wouldn't turn off, and it was the plug at the back of my speedo had come out. Pluged it back in and everything is fine. Seems to run better also.....

Geezer glad you found your problem. Can I ask you what made you think to look there?

Gezzer, thank you for your suggestion. We (Scott) checked the speedo cable and reseated both ends. Problem still persists.

What does it mean to have the directionals flash 5 times? But there is no check engine light.

I have seen a blown accessory fuse cause this problem. Check the fuses and look for shorts in the wiring. May be some type of short or grounding problem. Have you added any electricial accessories lately?

Petie, it turned out to be a blown fuse which was blowing because of a pinched wire. All fixed now. Thanks all for the troubleshooting help. Back in business for beautiful weekend riding.

I have seen a blown accessory fuse cause this problem. Check the fuses and look for shorts in the wiring. May be some type of short or grounding problem. Have you added any electricial accessories lately?

Excellent eyeball there, PetieJ!! Good job spotting this for him.

Thanx!

TQ

Geezer glad you found your problem. Can I ask you what made you think to look there?

Hoople suggested that I check for a wiring problem. So I took the front of the fairing off and started checking wires. I noticed the plug at the back of the speedometer would move when I move the wires. I pushed on it and I heard it click into place. Problem solved.

It's great to see people helping others, problems being solved or fixed without much of a hassle. I've been pretty frustrated sometimes and it's nice to have someone to help to cure the problem. Ride safe.

Back