free website stats program stage one ideas | Harley Davidson Forums

stage one ideas

dwoz2012

I have a 2010 Electra glide classic. Going to do a stage one and install myself. So, this is what I am looking at. Vance and Hines Pro pipe system 2 to 1. Dobeck Gen 3, and a PM high flow air cleaner. Any comments or suggestions, that might help would be appreciated. This will be my first stage one I will do for a Harley. I think the only other part I will need to buy is new exhaust gaskets from the Harley dealer. Any tips Thanks guys.

I have a 2010 Electra glide classic. Going to do a stage one and install myself. So, this is what I am looking at. Vance and Hines Pro pipe system 2 to 1. Dobeck Gen 3, and a PM high flow air cleaner. Any comments or suggestions, that might help would be appreciated. This will be my first stage one I will do for a Harley. I think the only other part I will need to buy is new exhaust gaskets from the Harley dealer. Any tips Thanks guys.

Sounds like you have it covered, although I thought 'stage 1' referenced the SE AC and Map download, of which I see you are educated enough to forego the map thing. And any good larger AC will work.

The 2 into 1 is a good torque building choice. Depending on the condition of your header bolts you might want to spray them with bolt blaster the night before.

I think the only other part I will need to buy is new exhaust gaskets from the Harley dealer.

So your planning on changing the woven SS gaskets (header pipes to cylinders) just to make sure it's sealed properly.?

Is there a better gasket to ues then the oem? the new header does not come with gaskets, I am open to seggestions

In the old days, you know....4 years ago....the Screaming Eagle gaskets were better. Now, I have no idea.
The term stage 1 refers to any air filter and muffler upgrades, they don't have to be Harley.

Is there a better gasket to ues then the oem? the new header does not come with gaskets, I am open to seggestions

I used the stock HD header gaskets because I was reusing my stock header pipes. The stock gaskets look to be high quality to me but I had nothing to compare them to. They are tricky to install. Lucky I had ordered more than just two.

There is one tip I can pass on to you. I changed out my cylinder head studs to grade 8 also. It was not hard to do. I also was VERY surprised (shocking surprise) how many times I had to re-torque the exhaust stud nuts after a complete engine temp cycle. It was probably due to the new gaskets. Not once or twice like I would have expected,,, I am talking maybe 6 times until the torque wrench would click off on it's own without the nut moving. I thought it would never end. In my case I had to leave off the heat shields in order to be able to reach the nuts. Leave the heat shields off unit the torque settles in.
You want to avoid leaks at all costs.

I also was VERY surprised (shocking surprise) how many times I had to re-torque the exhaust stud nuts after a complete engine temp cycle. It was probably due to the new gaskets. Not once or twice like I would have expected,,, I am talking maybe 6 times until the torque wrench would click off on it's own without the nut moving.

I recently put the OEM exhaust system back on my Dyna. I think I've retorqued 4 times so far.

Back