free website stats program Stage I Without ECM Download on 09 Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage I Without ECM Download on 09 Ultra

I am in a quandary here with my 09 Ultra with Monster Ovals. I am thinking of installing a HD Stage I kit (part# 29260-08) but I am hesitating on the HD ECM download. According to the 2009 motor accessories book, SE section, the ECM download says:

"Recalibration is required for proper installation, and will allow the bike to rev up to 6200 RPM." OK I not really too eager to rev my motor past 4K RPM, much less 6200 RPM

1. Stage I kit is 50 state street legal - no warrantee issues going forward
2. ECM download recommended - per above "recalibration to match performance pipes"
3. Screaming Eagle pipes, when added will match steps 1 & 2 above.

Now being aware about all the discussions about warrantee issues on this forum with some SE performance kits and third party "FUEL TUNERS", I called and talked to the one of the local service manager and discussed my options, and he said Stage I kit is OK, and will not affect warrantee, he also recommended the ECM download and SE pipes.

When I mentioned that I have the V&H Monster Ovals, he said oh that's kind of a gray area and may not match the Stage I and ECM due to non SE pipes.

We then discussed the use of third party "fuel tuners" and he said it will definitely affect and void standing warrantee as this is products represent tampering with EPA requirements.

So to cut through the chase, and to stay within the legal bounds of my 2 year warrantee:

- Can I just do the stage 1 kit and forgo the ECM download since it does not match my V&H MO anyway? Will this kit make an already lean bike leaner?

- Or do I just keep the stock air cleaner and wait until the 2 year warrantee expires and let go crazy on the PCV or V&H fuelpak?

Not a good idea to do a stage 1 without fuel. Would probably cause alot of damage, and still not be covered under warranty.
Put the fuel pack on.
The warranty should not be affected unless they can say that the mod caused the malfunction.
Save your stock parts and switch it back if you think they will give you problems.
My dealer has never said a word about mine, and even asked how I liked it when I had the recall done.

So Vance & Hines fuelpak 1st choice, Power Commander V (when released) second choice?

So as lean as it already comes from the factory, looks like I am better off leaving the stock air cleaner until I can get the "fuel tuner plus stage I air cleaner.

DC2009EGUC

You have been given good and proper input above, the only thing I differ on is the fuel tuner used. The TFI is easier, more user friendly and better tech support than the fuel pack (if needed). Other than that I agree with what was posted above.

DC2009EGUC

You have been given good and proper input above, the only thing I differ on is the fuel tuner used. The TFI is easier, more user friendly and better tech support than the fuel pack (if needed). Other than that I agree with what was posted above.

Do your Bike and yourself a favor and Go with Glider's sugsetion The Techlusions TFI is the best upgrade that I did to my bike You will not regret it. With this kit NO Download required and goes like a scalded dog wants the pods are dialed in.

Best part is that you can do the install yourself and save the $$ that your dealer would charge to buy more Goodies for your ride!!

Do a search on this forum under "TFI"

Ride Safe
BuffaloBill

Back