free website stats program Stage 1 OUT K&N IN | Harley Davidson Forums

Stage 1 OUT K&N IN

robermv32

I have a 2008 FXSTC with 18,000 miles on her. I converted to the HD Stage 1 kit awhile ago and tonight while riding I felt the engine skip. Just a blip. One time. I got home and started checking wires, fuel, etc and when I looked at the Stage 1 HD air filter, the attached rubber gasket is all ripped up and there are pieces missing....hmmmm wonder where they went ?

My buddy is running the K&N 1499 on his Softail and he said he loves it...hasn't ever had such a problem. He had another one that I bought for $ 35.00 ( I understand that's a good price ) MY QUESTION: How will I mount this now that I've already mounted the HD STAGE 1 ? What do I have to do ?

Hope to hear from you all soon, because I'm not pushing rubber chips through my engine anymore so she's parked.

I believe you will need to put the stock backing plate and breathers back on. And the "football" cover.
The KN 1499 is the replacement for the stock HD air filter.

I concur, stock parts for the K&N. I started using K&N a very long time on perfomance cars. You can't go wrong. My "06" FXST/I runs well with my K&N and cycle shack slipons.
Roll it on!

Well, I went to the local dealership (40 mile ride ) and told them of my problem. I never received my "old parts" when I had the stage 1 conversion done last October. The Service Manager was most helpful. She said that they probably didn't have the parts seeing how it's been so long but she would look around for me. About 1/2 an hour later she came out and handed me the backing plate, bracket and T-27 bolts. I asked her if there was any charge and she said "No, you should have been given the parts when you had the work done, my bad. Enjoy."
Went home did the installation and I'll tell you there is a MARKED improvement in the preformance. For a 60 year old kid on a cruiser with a TFI, and K&N.....I can't say how much I enjoy riding this thing, except in a little over 8 months I've clocked over 18,000 miles. That should say enough. Thanks for the input.

Back