free website stats program Stabilizer for front forks | Harley Davidson Forums

Stabilizer for front forks

My experience is that you wil only need a stabilizer when you are riding a long front-end or a a high performance engine. When you have a stock bike the frontfender will work as some kind of stabilizer.
At high performance bikes the front will become unstable when you open the throttle and a long front-end is always more unstable.

Hello rj , i own a '88' fxrs (100+ hp) with 2" over stock forks on a 41mm front end,21" rim. I have ridden with this setup since '93' . I just installed a 'custom cycle engineering' fork brace a few months ago . It made a big difference in the twisties , just feels a lot more stable . Imo it would be a good investment. Hd/old school

Johnny , sorry i posted my reply to rj should have been sent to you . Hd

Last edited by a moderator:
Fork brace works plain and simple...yes the front fender and under bracket is sheet steel, but the inherent "U" shape with 2 fasteners on each side still allows considerable flex and "twang" when steering lock to lock. If you do "spirited riding" get a fork brace...the steering will be more steady at speed.

Try this on your bike without the brace. Gently move your front fork all the way to the left, then gently knudge with your knee against the wheel against the limiter, notice how much movement with a little a push, to deflect the wheel a 1/4" (don't do this to hard). Imagine the road doing similar if you have the bike heeled over in a turn and have not even hit the lock.

Back