free website stats program Squeaking noise when hot on sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Squeaking noise when hot on sportster

1cavvet

I have picked up a squeaking noise when my engine gets hot. Bike runs great with no loss of power. New exhaust gaskets, fresh oil and filter. It only squeaks at idle when hot and when you raise it off idle it stops.

In my manual refering to the exhaust there are notations to not let the exhaust touch the frame. other than that I'd look at whatever was worked on last.

Try isolating the area where it's coming from. To say there's a noise will take about 200 guesses where it could be coming from and never find the source.

Since you are having trouble isolating the sound, they have dignostic stethescope and like Steve says, spray grease (I use good ol' WD40) and spray around the exhaust system joint and manifold locations. Remember, since you do not have rubber mounting, you may want to check for loose hardware. On my '04 (it HAS rubber motor mounts and links, but I still have seen vibrations loosen mounting hardware, even the baffles inside my pipes, with just a 1/4 turn of tightning. Also the chain tension is manually adjusted, so you may need to view a service manual to help map your strategy.

Back