free website stats program springer softail controls | Harley Davidson Forums

springer softail controls

Trev1340

Hi i have a 1997 springer softail with forward controls but have now got a problem with my right knee so i would like to change to mid controls any idea what i need or if i could get any to fit this is my first hog and unsure as what can fit etc cheers in advance for any help Trev

Trev; Welcome to the forum. The Dyna and Softail line use the same dimension inner and outer pirmary's. You could adapt a Super Glide mid shift to your softail. BUT it will be tedious and expensive to buy the individual parts for both sides. And, the Softail frame does not have the mid frame peg mounting lugs (they could be welded). Someone may know of an easier, cheaper way to go. All I see is $$$.

Last edited:
With a bit of work you could move your controls back a bit, J P had blocks in the catalog to move the controls back, may be worth checking out JMO:s

yeah the problem is my knee touches the air filter and i have to bend my leg sideways to use the rear brake have allready put an extension piece in to extend the footpeg but still no use (short legs ) but like the idea of foot boards any idea what ones would fit with out to much hassle . no stranger to the odd spanner session rebuilt a T140 Bonniville out of box's of bits any info greatly appreciated 006.jpg

Ahha! Now we got something to work with. If the air cleaner is basically your problem, there's a bunch of options. The first that comes to mind is one of the "heavy breather" types that point the filter forward. I don't know how far out the 90 degree bend comes, but several forum members have them and can comment on how far they protrude. Or you could look into moving your right peg and master cyl. out an inch or so.

HD accessories book says 86 later footboards will fit your bike. Check out a swap meet in your area to save some money.

yeah the problem is my knee touches the air filter and i have to bend my leg sideways to use the rear brake have already put an extension piece in to extend the foot peg but still no use (short legs ) but like the idea of foot boards any idea what ones would fit with out to much hassle . no stranger to the odd spanner session rebuilt a T140 Bonneville out of box's of bits any info greatly appreciated

As Breeze said, you may want to use the H-D Heavy Breather A/C w/ K&N element, easier to install and less of a hit on the old pocketbook! I have a similar S&S Tear Drop A/C on my Sporty and my knee can contact it, but I like the old style "classic look" so I make due, but you do not have to if it bothers you. :a

If you are having problems finding one that will fit your model year....Check out this website:

Harley Davidson | Useforce

These are the original manufacturer of the H-D Heavy Breather and will give you plenty of right knee room, and at much lower trouble and cost changing your forward controls setup. :panic

Last edited:
Back