free website stats program Springer front end | Harley Davidson Forums

Springer front end

carz

I'v got an 89 soft tail springer FX and I hear a noise in the front end when i hit pot holes and what not. i dont know much about it, is there some way i can check oil in it or something along those lines. i tried looking on the self help area. please help. thanks.

Tip #7 in 'chassis,front end and suspension' should cover your needs. In addition, check the neck bearings for tightness. This part of the fall away adj., but can be quickly checked by straddling the bike and pulling the front brake while rocking the bike. If you can feel movement between the neck and the forks, it's loose. Proceed to fall away adjustment. You might want to look at tip #161 also.

I have a 96 springer so I'll through my 2 cents in.There is no fork oil on a springer.The most common thing to go bad is the rocker bearings (these allow the plate attatched to the wheel to pivot at the bottom of the fork).They should be changed at about every 20k or so depending on riding style.

As Breeze mentioned, it could be neck bearings going bad.Another very common rattle point is the fender mounting point.

Im betting you need rocker bearings,how many miles on the scoot?

Well believe it ir not its only got about 12,500 miles on it my uncle had it in his garage since 1990 when he baught it and i couldnt let it sit any longer so i bought it 2 years ago with only 6k on it. and ithis is my first springer so help .

thanks guys.

Well believe it ir not its only got about 12,500 miles on it my uncle had it in his garage since 1990 when he baught it and i couldnt let it sit any longer so i bought it 2 years ago with only 6k on it. and ithis is my first springer so help .

thanks guys.

Do you have a service manual?If not, that should be your 1st purchase.

Do you have a bike jack?If you do, you can check for both the neck bearing and rocker bearing issues by getting it off the ground.

Neck Bearing check:With the bike on the jack, turn the front end side to side.It should turn smoothley with no flat spots.If you feel a flatt spot (usualy at the center position) you need neck bearings.

Rocker bearings check:With the bike on the jack (strapped down), pace a 2 by 4 under the rear wheel and lower the bike util it barely makes contact with the rear wheel.Then place a pry bar under the front wheel and "gentley" lift up on the wheel.If the rocker bearings are bad, you'll see it.

Thats low miles on an older scoot.It could be as simple as tightening up the main fork nut.

Back