free website stats program Springer apes! | Harley Davidson Forums

Springer apes!

SpringerSteve98

So... I absolutely love the look of springers with mini-apes. I don't want to go overboard here, so i ordered the Drag specialties 12.5" rise 1-1/4" buffalo bars for my springer. Also we're putting chrome controls on and a new front tire while we're at it.
I know before we even started that the springer risers are way different than the normal riser spread, springers are like 4-3/4" center to center. My stock risers seem to be about 4-1/2"... and i love the risers, they put the bottom of the handlebars about level with the top of the tank-top MPH guage.... I'm no whiz at math or measurements... But i think this is going to give me about the same as a softail standard with 14-15" bars on it which is about where i want to be.. I'd like my hands just above my shoulder barely... no higher than that. BTW i'm about 6ft 1in.
If anyone has a similar setup, or have a pic of a springer with something similar i'd love for you to chip in a picture or two. Also.. my other questions are:
Other than the riser spread issues, are there any other things that might make life difficult during this project?
And what about bushings... Should i replace them with something different? Am i going to have problems with the tall risers and bars? I don't want them feeling "loose". I can't stand the rubber bushings with apes like i've seen on newer bikes. But mine is a 98 FXSTS and doesn't have rubber handlebar mounts anywhere that i know of.

You got to ask yourself do you want vibration or not then choose your bushings:s

Got her finished up yesterday. Relocated the blinkers, done away with the windshield, installed the bars and new controls, put new cables on. No battery for the camera or i'd take after pics and post them. I'm real happy with it, its like an entirely different bike.... pics soon to come!

Back