free website stats program Spring Startup | Harley Davidson Forums

Spring Startup

wilks3

Anything to do special on first startup after setting all winter?
My 2010 Superglide is in 65* heated garage, gas tank full with SeaFoam added and run through engine. Fresh oil and filter change at time of storeage.
Is it ok to take plugs out, put couple of drops of oil in cylinders, ground plugs,
and spin engine over to get oil pressure up? Take fuel pump fuse out?
I've done this on all my car toys but never on EFI Harley.
Your Thoughts Please
wilks3:D

If it's been sitting for the winter, before turning that key, check the tire pressure, please.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I do that. :) I usually will get the bikes out and give them both a good cleaning when it gets close to riding time. Usually when it's too marginal to go for a ride, but yet nice enough to be outside I'll polish both bikes up nice do the wheels and such, good coat of pledge etc, and check tire pressures & fluid levels (even though they were taken from one garage to the other directly after the service).

How's this for dedicated, I usually go out and check the pressure while they sit and top them off if needed. :s I know my husband might get an opportunity to get on the bike for a quick ride before I do, and I want him to be safe you know. Usually he will take his DR400 out, due to the salt & such, but when spring rolls around & there isn't any salt on the roads, he likes the Harley & the tunes. :D

Seriously Chopper, thanks for the reminder. I know a lot of folks will just jump on the bikes and go. I'm guilty as a matter of fact. When I was new, and had not found this forum, I would go down to the storage building where we kept the bikes and go out. On several occasions, I would think the bike was handling different. I finally stopped by my buddies place while they were open & checked the tire pressure. I was amazed at the difference in the bike. Now I keep a tire gauge with the bike. I should have known better, as I was always tinkering with the mtb and I always check the tire pressure on my other vehicles. I just mistakenly took the bike for granted. I was lucky that the good Lord was watching out for me. Then he led me to this forum. :)

Yep! I'm kind of like a bear, I could just shut down and hibernate in the cold if I didn't have to work for a living. :D

Wilks3 you are correct, as you did the winterizing properly before putting bike into hibernation. BUT if you had not, the bike not nearly as young, left with old fluids in, owner just "parked it" for 3 month or longer hiatus...things would be much more eh... strenuous. Something like draining and changing all the fluids, if carbureted drain float bowl (EFI check the fuel in lines or drain), if fluids smell like old varnish, may want to drain tank and clean inlet filter, charge battery, tires, wheels, brakes and safety inspection...the list could have been much longer before you even turn the engine over for the first ride...

The only thing I would add to Glider's post is a quick check of the fasteners. Don't have to do all the trivial stuff or those that are glued in (Locktite), but a quick check of anything that can fall off or create havoc is a good idea. Most of us forget about that all season and promise to do it in the Spring. But then we just ride off!!

TQ

Back