free website stats program Sporty question | Harley Davidson Forums

Sporty question

doctor727

I am trying to help my neighbor with his Sporster. He bought it used and has no idea about it. I need to know how much oil it takes for a change. It is a 1983 883. It is in nice condition and I want to try to get him started in the right direction. Thanks for any help.

I am trying to help my neighbor with his Sporster. He bought it used and has no idea about it. I need to know how much oil it takes for a change. It is a 1983 883. It is in nice condition and I want to try to get him started in the right direction. Thanks for any help.

3 quarts total. I would dump in 2 1/2 and run it and top off as needed:s

If the bike is a 1983 that would make it an iron head and if it were mine i would use a good quality dino oil
Although i have a wee bit of experience on early evo sportsters i have never had my hands on an iron head

Brian

If the bike is a 1983 that would make it an iron head and if it were mine i would use a good quality dino oil
Although i have a wee bit of experience on early evo sportsters i have never had my hands on an iron head

Brian

Owners choice - but gotta agree with Brian here. Being it's a 83 , a decent dino would be just fine.

I had a 84 it was a 1200 Did they even make a 883 in 83
Do you think it may be a 93

Are you sure about that? From '57 to '71 they were 883 cc. (commonly referred to as 900 cc. '72 to 1985 they were 1000 cc. With the introduction of the "Evo" XL,in '86, they had 883 and 1100cc for '86 & '87. In '88 to current, they had 883 and 1200 cc

Back