free website stats program sporty noise | Harley Davidson Forums

sporty noise

Kranker1450

Hello all,

I have a 2003 883 and since i got it it had howling noise coming from the trans. Sounds like a bearing noise to me.Was hoping that someone might have experienced something similar and give me a place to look. It had about 15000 miles on it when i got it. Shifts fine and runs great. I adjusted the primary chain and that did nothing. The noise will stop if you pull the clutch in eventually. You can hear the clutch assembly slowly slowing down until it stops. If you put it in gear (with clutch in and a nasty clunk) it stops instantly. The minute you let the clutch out you can hear the noise. My wife rode it about 2000 miles last year and had no other issues then the noise. It sounds horrible. Any thoughts?

Thanks Krank

Thanks Jack. I replaced the primary fluid right when i bought it . I put in mobile one Vtwin 20w-50. Cltuch was adjusted also. Up and down shifts fine. It only makes the noise when the clutch is disengaged. Makes it while moving in any gear just harder to hear because the exhaust noise drowns it out. I have the clutch out of it now and am taking the tranny out tongiht. Any bearing in there that I should pay extra attention to?

Thanks Krank

Back