free website stats program sporty lifter oil preasure | Harley Davidson Forums

sporty lifter oil preasure

ORTIGO

1989 sporty 883, I have a pretty good rattle in the valve train, sounds like a rocker arm. Lifters were replaced around 700 miles ago. Ive readjusted three times now and cant get the rattle out. Lifters dont look to be collapsed. There was a slight rattle after having the lifters replaced but it was slight. I hit the rev limit once but usually dont dog my horse. Before I replace the lifters again I would Like more info on the oil preasure in the lifter area. I will be replacing lifters myself this time. If there is play between the lifter and lifter block will this affect lifter oil preasure? What other if anything can affect lifter oil preasure. I will also be removing the rocker box cover so that I can inspect rocker arms and such. You never know maybe I bent something. Thanks guys. Ortigo

I would like to add that this motor is stock except for nhrs breather and big city thunder baffles. Also the alen screw between the lifter blocks is rounded out, but I dont believe theres a screen in my model to look for being pluged. May have to tape it off anyways, weld a nut to it just to have a look. Im probably just looking at replacing lifters anyways cause I dont see anything bent. Strange though, you would think a lifter would be visually bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey brother, this may not fix your problem but I was gonna just share something with ya is all. I think based on what your describing is what my bike does as well. Mine is a 96 Sportster 1200 and when riding it, it almost sounds like a sewing machine in a way. As that real fast chatter to it and I listened to it and it drives me nuts. I noticed it was coming from the inner workings of the pistons. I was using Spectro Oil and it wasnt synthetic base either. I did a oil change two days ago and put Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic in it. It sounds as if I had got inside the bike and replaced the guts. It is the quietest I have ever heard it. It is so smooth. What I am getting at is, if your not using Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic Oil I would give her a shot, you may be surprised to the results. Me having a Sportster and you having one I figured since it worked for me it may do the same for you!!! Good Luck Brother on getting the problem fixed and wish you the best!!! Be safe on the Roads!!!:s

Thanks for your reply. Ive been using bel ray for about the last 1000 or so and have considered switching to synth. next oil change. As far as my noises they are pretty severe, gotta be something wrong but i dont see a lifter colapsed or any rocker arms bent or pushrods (SnS adjustables). Maybe they dont have to be colapsed to be bad not sure. I also noticed play between the lifter block and lifter. Thats why I need info on how that relates to oil preasure at the lifter. Dont want to do this twice. As far as mobile 1 you bet im going for it. Probably change the oil after repairs are done just to be sure. Thanks again.

Back