free website stats program sporty & damp | Harley Davidson Forums

sporty & damp

kennyw

good afternoon from snowy birmingham,uk
i've been riding my 1200 custom all weathers, bar for 3ft snow??starts up ok ,runs ok with choke in, but if its raining or even misty its starts to back fire,and runs like a bag of nails??mis-fires ect,new plugs & leads fitted still happening,any help would be very gratefully accepted, ride safe

Possibly suspect something in the ignition system being moisture is effecting it. Check over the coil and connections for cleanliness and tightness.
Also look for any cracks or carbon tracking on the coil that would look like a pencil line. This would cause arcing to ground and possibly could be your problem.

Definatley carb icing if not done already upgraging the air cleaner system can help
But that means the whole airbox one without any restrictions
silkolene pro fst was developed in conjunction with kawasaki uk in the early 80s to eleviate this problem kawasaki used kehine carbs
replacing the carb with a mikuni hsr shoukd also help however if the conditions are right then card icing will occur
i can get this problem from jan to april although things are a lot better with the mikuni carb and filter

Brian

thanks for all your help guys,i shall check coil ect w/end,i have to go to harley at aston the w/end pick up some bits,so i shall invest in the fortron fuel treatment for starters,and will see how it goes from there,it was running rough coming into work this morning misfiring & no idle but it was a bit on the damp side again??

good evening
bought myself a bottle of fuel treatment from harley on sunday,checked & cleaned coil & connections,so far so good,i'll go to busters in coventry to get the silkolene,bike was parked in bike shed at work all night -2,started fine & run great,thanks for all you help
ride safe :newsmile011:

Just remember to only use 1 fuel treatment at a time or you may cause problems
although its snowing from time to time not anything like it was at the start of the year
Bikes are in the bike sheds waiting for parts, time, and a wee bit of warmth
got my ticket for the wallace rally today

Brian

Back