free website stats program Sporty Conversion: Is it worth it? | Harley Davidson Forums

Sporty Conversion: Is it worth it?

Hi there. I recently converted my 883 to a 1200 and to be entirely honest was not at all happy. In fact after 5 months of converting I went out and purchased an ultra glide. Also, my trade-in barely took the costs of the conversion into account so I lost quite a bit of money as well.

Once you change the sprocket, how do you recalibrate the speedo? I assume you will also need a shorter belt?

I don’t know if my 883 has been converted to a 1200. I am suspect that it has after renting two big twins and not noticing much difference in torque.

I really would like the longer legs of the 1200 sprocket. I am willing to give-up the lower end grunt for more relaxed cruising.

Thinkin 'bout 2008 883L to 1200 conversion...is it worth it?

Depends. If you are doing it yourself and are only out the bucks for the stuff, maybe. But I defer to Hobbits comments above.

I would NOT think it would be worth paying someone else to do it. If you are gonna keep it and chop it or something, it might be worth it TO YOU to pep it up, but probably not worth it to anyone else.

TQ

couple weeks ago I stopped in NW HARLEY in wash.

Overheard POOR sales person trying to sell a very nice 07 LOW MILE-LOW PRICED 883 sportster to a fellow who WANTED a 1200......He had enough money to BUY the used 883 but not the comparable 1200 next to it......

ASKING IF I could offered MY opinion : the salesman made his sale on the spot...

I did a 883 to 1200 conversion my self and have described it here on fourm many times.... REMEMBER JERRY BRANCH of JERRY BRANCH HEADS giving me the LEAST $$$$ to convert NOT using his products....and HOLD ON WITH BOTH HANDS!!! The 883 to 1200 with the right stuff is a $$$$$ saver and a BEAST......over a stock 1200...

Here in WA. 1200's are in shorter USED supply and HOLD their price up more than an 883...... 883's seem to get bought and put into garages never to have many miles put on them by riders who: buy them for a wife or gal friend (with long seasonal cold here) they get parked,,, LOOSE interest.....making LOW MILE GREAT BUYS for the converter!!!

I never got the fellows name but I'll see him at that dealership this spring....... I HOPE he's enjoying the conversion and $$$$ saved.....

signed....BUBBIE

Exactly as Bubbie says. If you are doing it yourself, it is probably worth it. If you are paying someone else $75+/hour to do it for you, nope.

TQ

the pully is the same size physically it just has different amount of teeth

Sorry, if the tooth pitch stays the same, and there are less teeth, then the outside diameter has to be smaller.

If the bike is travelling the same speed but the RPM is less the speedo will be off.

I own a 2001 sporty and had it for 5 years before doing the conversion and i could not be happier. With that being said it is not as simple as the 500 or so $ kit. If you are going to keep the bike it is well worth the investment. Just be aware that it can run into alot more than you may be aware of. My local shop did mine and i had it back several times after because i did not make and sprocket changes etc... After a bit more money and time i love it!!!!!!! I am very glad i did it. Good luck. C

Thanks...I don't owe that much more on it...I think I'll just pay it off, trade it in and move up...thanks to all for your VERY HELPFUL input...

I did the conversion myself this winter, Had the cly. bored and bought wisco's and james top end gaskets, total cost $349.00. I'm amazed at the power difference, 350 miles so far so I'm still keeping the RPMs under 3,500 so I don't weld the rings but the conversion is well worth the money if you do it yourself.

Back