free website stats program Sportster turn signal woes | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster turn signal woes

westlind

I am working on a clients 1991 Sportster. He just bought the bike from the original owner who had problems with the turn signals. When you turn the key on to the light position, the turn signals on the right side light up constantly. The front signal gets hot enough to melt the lens. The Harley shop said this was the first year of the electronic turn signal flasher and it lists for $144 !! Before I spend $144, I would appreciate any input from you guys who may have run into this problem before. Where is the turn signal flasher located? thanks !! Dan

I think that one is under the seat.... also check the wire harness under the rear fender, I have worked on a bunch of them where the rear tire damages the harness there.

Also you should get your manual out and run pin tests on the electronic signal controler, they do go bad, I have had to replace a few of them, the Badlands unit is a little less expensive than the HD unit. Good Luck Electrical problems are the worse, take your time work in a methodical manner and dont giuve up, you will get it eventually

The turn signal module should be located under the seat on the left side of the bike it is held in place by a single screw that takes a lot of turning to get it out
If there is not sufficient load drawn through the tsm then it will not flash need to be 2 x 21 watt so if a bulb has blown or been substituted for a lower watt bulb then the system will not flash

Brian

Back