free website stats program Sportster replacement shocks to stop bottoming out - help! | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster replacement shocks to stop bottoming out - help!

MikenDavid

I have a 2000 Sportster XL1200C - it's not a comfortable ride -two-up as the shocks bottom out constantly. I have them set on Max; but still does it too often. Does anybody have any advice about replacement shocks - I don't want to spend an absolute HD fortune, a couple of hundred quid would be fine.
Cheers.
Mike

I have noticed that I bottom out when hitting bumps. We tend to have some pretty beat up roads here in Washinton State. I have them on mid setting right now and I weigh 215lbs. I am going to turn them up a little more and if that doesnt help I may buy some new ones too...I have heard that Hagon is good.

2nd what Jayson said, have Progressive rear shocks AND lowered to 10.5. But in your case, keep the stock length, if you are happy with the stock ride/burdened height. I believe on the 1200C it is 12.5") but talk to tech support at Progressive to select the right spring & shock...after figuring out what is the total 2 up weight with gear (be nice to your gal if she is "sensitive" about this), so estimate if necessary rather than put your feet in the fire.

Last edited:
I have Progressive shocks on my Nightster and my "Other" big road bike. A little pricey, but you will never regret it.

I have friends that trade off their Ultra about every two years and they move their Progressive shocks from old to new bike all the time.

HD and many of the Japaneese manufacturers tend to go cheap on shock absorbers and this usually means that dampening and rebound control is left on the design floor. Even the HD air shocks, while you can pump them up to prevent bottoming, leave a lot to be desired in dampening and rebound control.

Just my $0.02.

Ride safe.

Jake

I had the same problem with my 08XL1200R. It had 13.5" shocks on it and I put 13" progressives on it. Didn't even seem like the same bike. I weigh about 200lbs and my bike bottomed when set on max preload with the stock shocks. With the progressives, I set them on the lowest setting and rarely hit bottom. The shocks were about $250 or so new. I kept mine when I traded the bike off on my Fat Bob, so if you are interested in a 13" pair of progressives(reasonable) drop me a line.

I have an 08 1200R that would bottom out with stocks shocks. I weight 210 lbs but still that shouldn't happen. I put Progressive Heavy Duty shocks that were a half inch longer, and it's a much better ride. Got 'em new on eBay for about half retail, i.e. $220 for the pair.

I just ordered some progressive 412 series shocks on line for $215.00.
My stock shocks measure 11.6 inches long so I ordered 12 inch ones.
I was worried about going to 12.5, not sure how the belt drive reacts to big changes, as I notice the bikes with more suspension travel have a belt tensioner (roller).

The stock shocks seem ok if very limited in travel, if set on position 3, but with the wife on the back, position 4 bottomed out badly and I don't think 5 would have helped much.

I ordered a sundowner seat on line, and got a sissy bar for the wife, I hate those things, but she needs it, and I don't think she would stay on the bike without one, she would go right off the back when I got on it...
That would NOT go over well...

Next up is the progressive fork springs, and maybe thicker fork oil.

Its a shame you got to buy all this stuff just to get a reasonable ride....
Like the bike was set up for someone who weighed 120 pounds.

Brett

Back