free website stats program Sportster Oil Line Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster Oil Line Replacement

90FXRS

Contributor
On an '87 XHL 1100, It is coming apart, partially, to be painted and a topend repair. Noticing the oil lines are hard and it has the occasional drip. Underside is oily so I am wondering about changing all of the oil lines. Has anyone ever tackled this? I've never really dealt with Sportsters so I am a little on the ignorant side. I am going past the owner's home today, I plan on getting the service manual she has and looking through it.

It's not that hard of a job, just time consuming. There is 1 line that is behind the cam/gear cover. You can get to it by taking the sprocket cover off. Then just 1 to oil pump,1 return from filter, and 1 drain. IIRC. Pump doesn't need to come off either'
tourbox

I have looked at the picture in the book and briefly at the bike. The sprocket cover is coming off because the neutral light doesn't work. Either a wire off, broken or bad switch. I didn't figure the pump needed to come off. Does the oil filter mounting bracket need to come off or can I get to send and return lines by just taking off the filter? Been wondering if the lines are just loose.

You should be able to remove the lines at the filter w/o removing the filter, unless you want to. Probably easier with front exhaust off also. See attached. # 34 & 35 are your hoses to the filter and IIRC they are flexible. #34 is the inlet and #35 is the outlet. Look for a ground on your Neutral lite switch. The switch itself is grounded when in Neutral.

tourbox

Back