free website stats program Sportster headlight - haze on the inside | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster headlight - haze on the inside

JIM1200

Hello - There is a haze on the inside of my 2006 1200 Custom headlight.
I looks like the inside of smoker's car windshield. It is very visible when the headlight is on. Its not from a leak. I took the headlight unit out but I'm concerned to try to take it apart to get to the inside of the lens to clean it. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello - There is a haze on the inside of my 2006 1200 Custom headlight.
I looks like the inside of smoker's car windshield. It is very visible when the headlight is on. Its not from a leak. I took the headlight unit out but I'm concerned to try to take it apart to get to the inside of the lens to clean it. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is it the conventional "sealed beam" headlight (it will have generic marking on the outside), totally sealed heavy glass housing, inside may have an integral 2nd sealed bulb "halogen" or just 2 bare filaments suspended which is non-serviceable. If it has the HD logo in front, it is a HD licensed aftermarket one, though it is likely also sealed, but all you can do is check and inspect to to be sure. :yes

If it's the open reflector that HD uses in a lot of their bikes, you can remove the bulb itself and clean out the reflector with some alcohol, blow it dry and reinstall the bulb. Don't touch the bulb itself with your fingers because the oil from your skin will shorten the life of the bulb.

Back