free website stats program Sportster for the Wife | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster for the Wife

Lancer

I have come across what seems to be a decent deal on a 2001 Sportster 883 for the wife.
Here's the ad:

Up for sale is a super clean 2001 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster .with only 998 miles.lowered,26" seat height.Has a oil cooler. lepera seat. UPGRADES CHROME HAND LEVERS, chrome ISO GRIPS, 2 HD tear drop MIRRORS, CHROME HEADLIGHT ,19 front CHROME SPOKE WHEEL, 16" REAR CHROME Spoke WHEEL, , HD CUSTOM FOOT PEGS, CHROME UPPER & LOWER BELT GUARDS, CHROME OIL TANK COVER WITH TEMP GAUGE CAP, CHROME CUSTOM LIC. PLATE MOUNT,CHROME ROCKER COVERS. CHROME PRIMARY COVER, CHROME BATTERY & IGN. MODULE COVERS, CHROME ENGINE BOLT COVERS, chrome fork lowers/swing arm/ /belt pulley/controls//front and rear brake calipers/headlight and visor all chomed out nice. $4000 firm.

The pictures look good. I am trying to set up a day to look at it this weekend. Anything special I should look for? Pro's or Con's on that year Sportster?

Thanks

See if they have maintenance records and the last time the bike was prepred for storage. 125 miles a year is tender riding. It it has set for years with old oil and such you have some clean up to do.

That check list will come in handy, Thanks. The only issue I have found with this model and year seems to be the ignition module, seems to give up the ghost. And I hear the rubber mounted engine on the later models is a whole lot smoother.

yep the 04 up are smoother and having ridden both i would buy another 04 up any day much better on long journeys

That check list will come in handy, Thanks. The only issue I have found with this model and year seems to be the ignition module, seems to give up the ghost. And I hear the rubber mounted engine on the later models is a whole lot smoother.

Agreed, really like the '04 rubber mounting, still has the HD "flavor" without the long term "wear" on the rider.

Jury is out just what is the right amount of Harley sensation is "original" or right. Whether "rigid" or "rubber" verses "balancer" approach to vibration control varies with the application. :newsmile021:

I got my wife a 2000 883 this year and she loves it. we logged about 5000miles this summer on it with only the battery cables shaking loose once or twice nothing loc tight couldn't fix. Good price on the one your looking at. I paid 3700 for hers and it was a reconstruct.

Hmmm...Sportster for the Wife? That could be a tough decision!:D

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I first saw the thread, but learned long ago...don't push a bad position, could get hurt making the wrong choice :small3d023:

I have come across what seems to be a decent deal on a 2001 Sportster 883 for the wife.
Here's the ad:

Up for sale is a super clean 2001 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster .with only 998 miles.lowered,26" seat height.Has a oil cooler. lepera seat. UPGRADES CHROME HAND LEVERS, chrome ISO GRIPS, 2 HD tear drop MIRRORS, CHROME HEADLIGHT ,19 front CHROME SPOKE WHEEL, 16" REAR CHROME Spoke WHEEL, , HD CUSTOM FOOT PEGS, CHROME UPPER & LOWER BELT GUARDS, CHROME OIL TANK COVER WITH TEMP GAUGE CAP, CHROME CUSTOM LIC. PLATE MOUNT,CHROME ROCKER COVERS. CHROME PRIMARY COVER, CHROME BATTERY & IGN. MODULE COVERS, CHROME ENGINE BOLT COVERS, chrome fork lowers/swing arm/ /belt pulley/controls//front and rear brake calipers/headlight and visor all chomed out nice. $4000 firm.

The pictures look good. I am trying to set up a day to look at it this weekend. Anything special I should look for? Pro's or Con's on that year Sportster?

Thanks

Looks nice - if you like CHROME!!!

Your passenger seat is going to get lonely now! :p

Back