free website stats program Sportster Dead. NO Lights or indicators | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster Dead. NO Lights or indicators

tmarra

My 2006 1200 Sportster is dead. As I was riding it the security alarm was going on and off by itself. When I got home and turned it off the alram kept going. After having the alram sound on and off by itself it finally stopped. WHen I turn the key back on the Alram sounded off again. It finally stopped after turning the key on/off several times. I let it sit for a while and now when I turn the key to on no lights or indicators on the speedometer come on and of course it won't turn over. I check the battery connections and ALL fuses, which are all good. I'm not sure what the relay is for on the fuse panel but was wondering if it might be something causing the problem. Any suggested are welcomed.

My 2006 1200 Sportster is dead. As I was riding it the security alarm was going on and off by itself. When I got home and turned it off the alram kept going. After having the alram sound on and off by itself it finally stopped. WHen I turn the key back on the Alram sounded off again. It finally stopped after turning the key on/off several times. I let it sit for a while and now when I turn the key to on no lights or indicators on the speedometer come on and of course it won't turn over. I check the battery connections and ALL fuses, which are all good. I'm not sure what the relay is for on the fuse panel but was wondering if it might be something causing the problem. Any suggested are welcomed.

How about the Fob, is the battery bad and in safe mode ?

The battery checks good. I tried playing with the Fob but it doesn't do anything when I try to use it. Before it died It did work, but I never really use it. I just tried it when I started having problems and the alram was sounding. I'm not sure what "Safe Mode" is.

Because the siren starts to sound on its own, it means that the bikes electrical system has lost its "constant on" power source. Using a meter I can tell you exactly what to check & test if you have a manual and can upload a couple of pages. If so we can have you rolling in a jiffy.

I have a meter and I can upload pages, but I don't have a Service Manual. If I need a service manual is there one on-line I can access?

Go buy a manual at the dealer. it'll be the best $60 you ever spent if you are going to do any work on the bike yourself.

What I would suspect is a bad battery or bad battery cable or connections.

Try using a jumper wire from a known good battery without the vehicle running and connect the jumpers to your battery cables on the bike and see if you have power then which would indicate a battery problem. Other than that you can use the jumper to go to the battery post on the starter directly to see if you have isolated a problem with the POS cable and then a jumper from the engine case ground to the neg of the other battery which would test the integrity of the NEG cable .

Have you given any attention to the battery cable connections themselves on the battery or at the other ends of the cables like in removing and cleaning them or checking for their correct connection tightness?

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone Thanks for all your input. I checked the voltage of the battery at the terminals and it reads about 12.9VDC. I pulled the Maxi fuse and there is 12.9VDC at the Maxi fuse connector but nothing is getting to the 15amp fuse panel. I still don't know what the Relay is for. The owners manul just labels it as "Relay". As I was pulling the battery out with the key swith on suddenly the lights came on. I tightened the battery terminals, although they were not what I would call loose. Installed the battery and all the lights come on and it starts right up. I did this several times without any problem.

I'm just concerned what that relay is used for. I may have to call HD and ask them if no one knows.

Thanks for all your help guys!

I pulled the Maxi fuse and there is 12.9VDC at the Maxi fuse connector but nothing is getting to the 15amp fuse panel.

I'm just concerned what that relay is used for.

Have you tried turning on the ignition key in order to get voltage at the fuse panel? I can tell you that the relay your wondering about is not going to do much for fixing your problem because HD does not use the normally closed contacts on any relays. It's probably the "start" or "system" relay, either which won't be fixing your siren blowing issue.

Your meter may also need some help because reading 12.9 volts across your battery is a bit high and really should not be.

I would be following Glider's suggestions,, get a Service Manual & check those connections.

Back