free website stats program Sportster clutch issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster clutch issues

Re: How do i post a question?

Here's the question I want to post...

I have a 99 XLH883C. I replaced the clutch and cable was because I would take the free play out per procedure and a few miles later the play was back. The last attempt to adjust the cable the sleeve completely unthreaded So I reconnected it with 1 turn and locked it down. Then the lever would not pull but had about an inch of play. When I replaced the clutch I inspected the ramping mechanism and throwout bearing and saw nothing obvious. I even replaced the primary cover because the Chrome was pealing. After I put it all together I tried it out and it worked great. Then when I took it for a ride 1/4 mile later there was all free play. The throwout bearing would touch about 1/2 inch from the grip. Any suggestions?

I'm sure a mod. will be along shortly and move it to the proper thread.

welcome to the forum
if a mod hasn't moved this yet.

go to the home page, scroll down to sporters...at the top you will see "Start New Thread" and that is how you post your question

good luck

Moved thread to transmission and renamed to sportster clutch issues
Hopefully it will get more views and perhaps some relevant answers

Brian

Am I reading this correct, you replaced the clutch and cable? Did you put the plates in correct and correct number of plates? Is the clutch cable the correct length?

Back