free website stats program Sportster 62- GearBox Ariel 350CC | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster 62- GearBox Ariel 350CC

dolite

Hi Guys,

I have sporster 62 but got issue with the gearbox therefore I cut the engine, so the engine without gearbox.

Now, I am using gearbox Ariel 350cc as a gearbox, but since the power of sporster is too big, the ariel gearbox seem will broke ASAP just waiting the time.

I heard if my sporster already separate with the gearbox, we can put Old Gearbox from electra to be a gearbox, but I am not sure how to do that.

Please help me or advice me what should I do, Is that any gearbox can be used for my sportster ?

Thank You

Attachments

• Gearbox - Left.jpg
    Gearbox - Left.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Gearbox - Separate with Engine.jpg
    Gearbox - Separate with Engine.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 23
  • House Kopling 1.jpg
    House Kopling 1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 22
  • House Kopling.jpg
    House Kopling.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 22
As the bike has been modified for a British gearbox perhaps it would be easier to replace the gearbox with another British gearbox from a larger capacity bike

Brian

I have seen this done a long time ago, I think it was in Iron Horse Magazine, there were problems with offset sprockets and mounting the Big Twin tranny to a Sporster frame if I remember right, seems to me a British bike like older BSA or Triumph may be an easier fit?

Hi Guys,

Thanks to Comment, But I am trying to use Harley part.
I have seen before in Internet, but I can not find who is the owner.
I thought that can be implemented to my sportster, Is the picture is correct old electra transmission ?

Thank you

Attachments

• Gearbox sample.jpg
    Gearbox sample.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Gearbox sample 1.jpg
    Gearbox sample 1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at pic 1 it looks like a Pancake top tranny.I think they came out around '78-'79. It could be an Electra or a Fx type, not sure. I personnally prefer the Rachet top Trannys, less linkages for shifting. On the Rachet top the arm that the foot shifter linkage attaches to is either pointing up or down. Down is for the Fl's, up is for the FX's, usually. You could use either one for your application because the shifter plate & arm are replaceable.
tourbox

Looking at pic 1 it looks like a Pancake top tranny.I think they came out around '78-'79. It could be an Electra or a Fx type, not sure. I personnally prefer the Rachet top Trannys, less linkages for shifting. On the Rachet top the arm that the foot shifter linkage attaches to is either pointing up or down. Down is for the Fl's, up is for the FX's, usually. You could use either one for your application because the shifter plate & arm are replaceable.
tourbox

Mid 1979 thru 86 speeds used that style top cover, like Ray said I too think the ratchet top was and would be a bit more user friendly as far as linkage goes JMO

Hi All

Thank you for you comment.

I am planning to buy TRANSMISSION CASE KICKER 1970-1984 HARLEY SHOVELHEAD, Is that can be implemented into my sportster ? or any suggestion what kind of type ?

I know we have to modify the frame, but it's fine. Please advice

You can see the picture in the attachent

Dolite - Indonesia

Attachments

• Gearbox ShovelHead 70-84.jpg
    Gearbox ShovelHead 70-84.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Gearbox ShovelHead 70--84.jpg
    Gearbox ShovelHead 70--84.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 13
That looks like a 5 speed in a 4 speed box. Is it a Rev Tech.? It should work fine with frame mods.. I have been running a Rev Tech Evo 5 speed in my Hard Tail for over 5 yrs. with no problems.
tourbox

Back