free website stats program sportster 2 up? | Harley Davidson Forums

sportster 2 up?

bikecurious

hey, I'm looking to buy a bike, either a sportster or a dyna.
i know the dyna would be good with a passenger but does anyone have any input on how a sportster would ride 2 up? i'm not a big guy, 5'7 but my lady is 5'10 and we plan on taking some decently long trips.

hey, I'm looking to buy a bike, either a sportster or a dyna.
i know the dyna would be good with a passenger but does anyone have any input on how a sportster would ride 2 up? i'm not a big guy, 5'7 but my lady is 5'10 and we plan on taking some decently long trips.

Nothing wrong and I'm not down grading any sportster - but - IMO - I would'nt look to it as a "long-trip , two-up " scoot. Unless you took a 1200 and beefed it up and added some bags and a back rest. JMO!!

Ditto...All the above, We put over 10K miles on our 2007 "883" 2-up and Loved it, but were SOOO much more comfortable on the Heritage !!

and my says she Loves her two big pocketbooks on the sides :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my 1200. I've updated the shocks for two up but, it's only good for about town or really short trips.

About 95% of the time, I've got my solo Lepera seat and really enjoy it the way it's intended to be.

Dyna might fit the bill for you but, there are better options other than the Dyna for two up riding that can still thrill solo.

We traded the sporster for the Heritage. Couldn't take long trips on the sporster and be comfortable, plus cross winds moved the bike around. The Heritage is like a cadillac, wife absolutely loves it and it is so much more stable on 70 MPH+, plus the 6 speed is even better. Go bigger!

Bikecurious, as most have said, the Sporty will be a bit cramped for you two, but it is "just" right for me at 5'6" & my pillion partner at 5'2" both about 130 lbs each. The Dyna will be longer and have more power to boot...seat height and weight distribution is nice and low, so you will be just fine with it. Smitty and Hobbit are both correct...and no heat coming from here, I still love my Sporty because it does everything "just" right without excess!!! But I do have this thing about adding a bit here and there.

2004SportsterXL1200R9-9-09-1.jpg

Thanks guys! your responses are helping out a ton. I figured the Dyna would be a better fit for the two of us, but wanted some insight.
Also to add, this is going to be my first bike, do you think a super glide or a street bob would be realistic for me to handle at first? If so, are there any years you would recommend over others?any more reliable? or any problem years? I unfortunately cant buy brand new from the dealer, But I can afford one from the past few years.
any input on if fuel injection or carb would be more reliable or easier to maintain for someone trying to learn from the ground up?

Thanks Hobbit!
I've been looking at anything between '95 and '07
just mainly making sure they have less than 15,000 miles.

As Hobbit said, the carbed Sporties seem to most to be a bit cold blooded...but I have mine jetted a bit rich, so don't really have the cold blooded problems most have complained about, though my fuel mileage is 42 to 47 mpg depending on mix of city to highway riding. And yes, adding a sissy bar and extra padding on the pillion helps. I also got new bags that have plenty of room for weekend rides two-up.

Back