free website stats program Sportster 1200C Electrical Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster 1200C Electrical Problems

Billy

Geez, I have been having problems w/wife's sporty. She can be riding along and all of the sudden all her lights go out, all running lights. All dash lights go on. Sometimes it comes back on, sometimes we need to turn of the bike and it will come back on. I thought it might be something to do with vibration. It hasn't done it for about a year now. Recently I installed 12" apes, ran the extension wiring, got most to work, but all of a sudden everything went out again. Now I've checked out all the wiring, all the fuses, the battery, darn near everything I can think of. Found thru this web site how to do the diagnostics on the bike. Came up with some DTC codes for the TSM/TSSM. What I got was the following: 61121 and 61122, then part number 68920-old.
Problem is now I don't know what to do with this information. If anyone can help me figure out these problems, PLEASE help me. My wife is beginning to think I don't know what I'm doing and I have been riding and working on my own bikes for 45 years now.

All dash lights go on.

Did you really mean "All dash lights go OUT" ? If so then....

Since the complete bike goes dead including all lights, it can only be a few things. I would 1st be sure the battery terminals are both clean and tight. Then make absolutely sure the Negative cable frame ground (near starter) is solid and clean. Don't just wiggle the cable and say it is Ok. Make sure the Maxi fuse (main fuse) prongs are clean and tight in the receiver socket.

**Also take a real close look at the ignition switch and make sure the contacts still have some over-ride after making initial contact. You can disconnect both battery cables and use a fast acting continuity beeper (Fluke meter) to really ring it out the switch. Using the voltage side of the meter to check the ignition switch can sometimes be mis-leading because the refresh rate of the digital display is very slow. Another way is to measure the voltage drop across the switch contacts with the battery installed and lights on.**

Now if you meant "All dash lights go ON", (and not "out") then get back with a post because all of the above really does not apply.

Dont forget the run relay. Unclear if it is operated by the key or by the run switch. Fuse panels are notorious for corrosion. The shop repair is to clean entire fuse panel with electrical parts cleaner and compressed air and put DiElectric grease in all the holes.

Go through the whole system even if you find a loose battery connection. Can be more than one thing and usually is.

Back