free website stats program Sportster 1200 low EFI won’t start | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster 1200 low EFI won’t start

cimarronkid

Hey all, like I mentioned in my introduction I have a 2007 Sportster that has been setting in my garage for the last 2 or 3 years with out running I tried to start it to take it out recently and it won’t start. I have replaced the battery, fuel pump fuse spark plugs , still won’t start. I’ve noticed that the gas doesn’t seem to smell like gas, or the way that I think gas should or has smelled like all of my life. Thought about draining the gas and replacing with new, but can’t figure out how to drain it, any ideas would be appreciated.

If it were mine i'd remove the tank, drain and flush it out completely before reinstalling.
Pickup and can of Seafoam and add a couple oz to a fresh fill to clean out the inners and you should be good to go.

I drained the tank and the gas in it was a dark tea or a real light coffee color, I replaced it with about 1 gal of fresh gas but it still wont start it does crank. I would send it to a shop, but we don’t have one closer then 3 hrs away and I don’t have a trailer.
Where can you get this seafoam?

No, I haven’t checked to see if it’s getting a spark. I need to do that, and I’m not sure if it getting gas. I don’t hear the “wherring” sound that indicates that the EFI is kicking in, like I do on my Heritage.
What is that telling me?
Thanks to all that has responded.

If you don,'t hear the "whirring " sound,the fuelpump is not priming.
Check the fuse first,if ok,check pump its,self.
If necessary ,take it out ,and test it on the bench.

Goodluck.

All good advice given, since you mentioned the old gas looked like light coffee, I would also removed the air cleaner and look at the intake to see if it is gummed up as well.

You can check to see if the spark plugs fire by taking both out and ground them to the heads and crank it over. If you have spark and fuel it should start or at the very least pop.

Back