free website stats program Spoke torque wrench? | Harley Davidson Forums

Spoke torque wrench?

atm33

I'm a new Harley owner. Just got an '08 RK. This topic has likely been covered before, but is a spoke torque wrench overkill (not to mention over-expensive)? I'm happy to use the "hit it with a screwdriver and listen to the sound" method, but since the torque wrench method is listed in the HD service manual, I'm wondering if you long-time owners actually do it or not. Making a list of my must-have specialty tools I'll need for servicing the bike this winter and having a hard time with $80 for a tool I may use only 2 or 3 times.

$80.00 is a small price to pay for peace of mind and knowing it is done to spec. In the greater scheme of things and money we spend on our bikes $80.00 is nothing....:s

$80.00 is a small price to pay for peace of mind and knowing it is done to spec. In the greater scheme of things and money we spend on our bikes $80.00 is nothing....:s

I don't disagree at all. I'm in the middle of accessorizing, so just trying to limit the financial damage :). Thanks.

Time, corrosion, and dirt can make even a loose spoke nipple very hard to turn, giving false readings. I prefer the "old method" of listening on old wheels.

I tend to agree with Breeze. Get the wheel off the ground and give the spokes a tap with small wrench, you will know right away if one is loose.

I don't disagree at all. I'm in the middle of accessorizing, so just trying to limit the financial damage :). Thanks.

But is there not a difference in bling and a great running machine.

Back