free website stats program Split tanks and petcock (can i say that here?) | Harley Davidson Forums

Split tanks and petcock (can i say that here?)

SpringerSteve98

I have a softail with split tanks and a fuel petcock that has "on" and "reserve" I've been running it in the "on" position but it seems to have been draining from both tanks. I try to stop at least every 110-120mi and check both. My question is. Should the "reserve" be my secondary tank? I'm thinking my petcock might not be switching correctly.

I fotgot to add.. It seems to drain more out of the right side tank in the "on" position than the left side, but not much. Shouldn't the reserve be the one sucking out of both tanks?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a hose connecting the two tanks together on the bottom of both tanks. The petcock has a top part that allows fuel to flow when in the ON position and part that opens closer to the bottom of the tank when in the reserve position. Both tanks will drain at the same time due to the connecting hose. End of lesson.

That makes sense. I just never realized there was a hose connecting the two tanks. I have another silly question now though. How much is the reserve capacity on a split tank softail?

Yeah probably enough to get you 20 miles or so, I kind of like the old ways better then a fuel gauge. You knew it was time to look for gas or else. Where as a fuel gauge is one of those, I can get to the next station and I don't need to stop, or do I?

I always ran an MPG test to see how much I was getting per gallon(usually 45),then reset the trip meter and start looking @ 150mi.

I always ran an MPG test to see how much I was getting per gallon(usually 45),then reset the trip meter and start looking @ 150mi.

Well at 150 mi. you still have almost two gallons left in the tank, or about 70 to 90 miles. I quess that gives you a lot of choices about where you want to stop. I usually don't start looking till around 200 miles and yes I always set my trip meter when I fill up.

Back