free website stats program spitting and jerking | Harley Davidson Forums

spitting and jerking

slowboy

My '95 Badboy has gotten to where when I'm cruising at 45mph in 5th gear, it wants to jerk and pop [seems popping through tail pipes]. I can pull choke out about a third of the way, and bike runs better, except when I come to a stop, then it is idling too high. Both plugs have been fouling, but mostly rear cylinder plug. It is not gas or oil fouled. It is a dry black sooty foul with no smell [gas or oil]. A while back, a mechanic adjusted [I think, the needle...he said it had a clip on it and he raised clip up a notch...]. It seems to me that the bike is starving for gas, and possibly needs this clip put back to where it was, at least.
Am I thinking right here, or is there something else I should check for. All help and info is greatly appreciated ! !

Sounds like an intake leak. Check the rubber sleve that connects the carb to the intake manifold.

Depends on how the needle was adjusted if the needle was raised it would make the mixture a wee bit richer and if it was dropped it would make the mixture a wee bit leaner
pulling the choke out will also make the mixture richer as it adds fuel and that could be the cause of the dry soot on the plugs
as has already been stated check for an intake leak that would tend to make the mixture weak

Brian

Back