free website stats program Spinning Starter.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Spinning Starter....

Gezzer Glide

Contributor
I have an '03 FLHT. Recently I have noticed my bike not turning over as fast as it normally does. Yesterday I noticed a definint dragging starter. This morning the starter just spins so I replaced the battery and it still just spins. I found on this site that would indicate a weak or toasty starter clutch. My service manual shows a Drive assembly/overrunning clutch. Is that what it is talking about when it says “starter clutch”?

Thanks for the answer. But I did a little more searching and found this post:

Not a big deal as long as you hear the starter spinning over.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY , FINGERS GET EXPENSIVE.

*Drain the primary and you probably have to remove the rear floorboard to get the cover off.
*Remove the primary cover, make a template for the bolts from cardboard , draw a primary picture on it and stick the bolts in holes you make showing their position in the cover, there different lengths and can screw you up.
*You'll see the ring gear with the starter drive in the upper right of the primary area. (the small gear in the pic)
*Remove the bolt in the center after bending the lock tab down
*Remove the starter drive and replace it with the new one.Check the manual to see if blue locktite is recommended.
*Reverse the foregoing procedure and fill the primary with the proper amount of oil up to the bottom of the silver ring around the clutch basket with the bike straight up after putting on a new gasket and you're done. Use the HD gasket if you do it. The aftermarket gaskets tend to leak without the silicone bead on them.

So is it the gear in the primary or the clutch in the starter?

Clutch in the starter.

#252 here.

HD0309005017.gif

Is the starter clutch.
Dont know what that guy is trying to tell you about the jack-shaft drive gear. Does NOT make any sense.

You need to pull the starter out and take it to a shop that rebuilds starters/alternators and they should be able to get the clutch for you. You need the part numbered 9B/98, cant tell if the second character is an 8 or B. But, that is the stater clutch. Approx. cost for the part $50, fixing it another $40 and you should be good to go.
Been through two (2) clutchs on my 1997 Low Rider. Did the same thing you mention, as to your problem.
Have FUN, as this is a (EDIT) job and messy.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K...Thanks

Simply the Starter Clutch...less than $100 from you know who or around $80 at Zanotti's...! Did the deed a couple months ago...good time to check behind the primary cover, inspect chain tensioner pads, cleanliness and adjust the clutch more easily.

Don't be afraid of the disassembly, just lay it out just enought to inspect and replenish gear grease if contaminated as in Glider's diagram (you can take starter solenoid apart as well, while your at it), the rebuild kit for that is another $25 if you want to, but why bother, if after inspection everything looks good? :D

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys...I'm not afraid to do the work myself. As a matter of fact I would rather do it myself than someone else. I do most of the repairs on my bike. I just needed to know what the problem is.

Just a question since I have never worked on the starter.

Does the pinion gear have to be removed for this type of work. I have been in the primary cover 2 times now and at $40 for a new primary gasket its like throwing money to the wind

Back