free website stats program speedometer inop | Harley Davidson Forums

speedometer inop

1moretime

hello everyone out thier, need help, i have a 2008 105th anniv road glide, 9k on it. the speedometer stop working now the cruz control wont work the turn signal wont turn off unless u pushem and the bike cuts off alot when coming to a stop. the check engine light comes on in 6th gear n sometimes when its started. anyh help. thanks

Most likely it's the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) located on top of your transmission. The symptoms are all associated with this. It is magnetic and runs off the revolutions of the 4th gear(i think) of your tranny. Over time the magnet can pick up little metal shavings in your tranny. Too many metal shavings makes the sensor inoperable. You can try to take it out and wipe it clean this sometimes works but often you need to buy a new one. I think you can find them around $75 and they are easy to install. Simply search our forum with keywork VSS and you will find a wealth of info about this. Good luck

dont know how to get codes from the scoot

ok cool i see ur info sheet on how to check for codes, ill update when i get any codes if any

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, checked the codes out on this issue n i got from the HD shop, says that the codes say the stereo switches are inop and the VSS senors is inop too. any idea how i can fix this my self. they said that the bike is turning off cause of the switches? not sure what to do, i wanna work on my own scoot but dont know what to do with this info. help

Since you have a three wire speed sensor you may want to try this. Hall Effect sensors are able to detect slow moving and stationary teeth. Jack the rear wheel off the ground. Place the bike in neutral. The VSS sensor has 3 leads which are 1) 12 volt supply,, 2) ground , and 3) sensor out. Take a DC voltmeter and place it between the Grd and "sensor out" pins. With ignition turned ON, you should be able to rotate the rear wheel and see the meter swing from Zero volts to +5 volts, back to Zero back to +5 volts over and over again. The voltage swing will be either zero to +5 or maybe zero to 9 volts, but it will be at LEAST 5.0v or some voltage greater than 5 volts.

All pickup and speedo wires must remain hooked up while testing. Of course 1st verify you do have 12Volts on the Vss pickup. Then place your meter on the other 2 pins.

The key is:
Is the voltage greater than 5 volts DC & is it a clean swing from +5 to Zero to +5 to Zero over & over etc. (in other words a clean square wave from "0" to supply rail or +5)

See what you read.

Back