free website stats program Speedometer fogging up on sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedometer fogging up on sportster

nhk750

OK, I have a minor problem and haven't had this problem on other bikes. I live in Washington State and it is winter. Cold and wet, but I don't ride in the wet, I wait for it to get dry then ride. My bike is also stored in a non-heated garage. I ride at least 1 time a week in the winter (believe it or not it does get dry here at least once a week in the winter). My Speedometer is getting fogged up around the edge of the glass when I ride. I only notice it doing this when it is below 40 deg F.

Is this normal? The bike is still under warranty until May 2010, would this be covered by warranty? I remember reading somewhere that this can happen and it is nothing to worry about, and it doesn't seem to hamper the viewing of the speedo at all...but, it still doesn't seem right...

Maybe I could pull the bike into my house and keep it nice and warm with me inside? Hmmm....

That is what I thought, I swear I read it somewhere, but cant find it anywhere now. As long as it doesnt form water droplets inside the speedo I think they said it is ok and not to worry.

Everything that's not normal with other brands of bikes, is normal with Harley's... You'll see it when you start taking your new scooter in to the service department with a problem, your going to hear, "its normal for Harley's to make that grinding sound, ect...." :small3d014:

I worked at an hd dealer for 10 years as a wrench. they would tell customers unless water droplets are forming and running down on the inside of lense, that they wouldn't warranty the gauge. I have an 06 ultra and it did that since it was new. 2 years ago decided to drill 2, 16th inch holes on the back. one on top and one on the bottom. hasn't fogged up since. but i also have the outer fairing to help block the rain drops from directly making contact with the gauges. hope this helps ya.

I was actually thinking of doing something like that to vent it. Maybe I will grow ambitious someday.

Wish I was in Florida right now...it is 30 deg F here right now...

Back