free website stats program Speedometer Drive/Wheel Change | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedometer Drive/Wheel Change

ccryder

Hi, I have a '96 Softail Heritage. Been running a 19" (non-oem) spoke wheel in front for a few years. Speedometer has probably been off. I picked up a 2000 or newer Fat Boy front wheel(Sealed bearings 3/4" axle). Getting ready to install it. Also just bought a new brake rotor with a 2 1/4" center hole.(old rotor had 2" center).
Looking at the existing speedometer drive....noticed the drive has a built in spacer. Also the drive tang would have to be modified or bent farther out. Was 1999 the last year of the wheel driven speedometer?
I could probably get by with a "fat boy"wheel spacer on the right, if needed. I'm not quite sure what to do with the speedo drive unit yet.
I will have to cut a notch for the "tang" in the rotor center. The front end is a 41mm stock unit. Was hoping it was just a plug n play type of change! Any Input?
Thanks!

I always thought that the 95 dyna was the first year of the electronic speedo and that the other models followed the following model year
The tang on the speedo drive fits into the slot on the brake rotor so the correct size of rotor is the best way to go

Brian

Does the new wheel have the 2 1/4" rotor set up or the old 2" set up. There is a spacer made to reduce the larger hole down to fit the earlier hubs. The larger hole rotor has to have a recess cut on the back side to accept the the reducer or the rotor gets spaced out about 1/8". You would have the notch in the smaller old rotor for the speedo drive.
tourbox

Hi Brian, Yes, What I have with this "Brand Used" Fat Boy wheel is an electronic speedo year. I'd like to convert it to a wheel driven speedo unit.
As for the proper brake rotor for that Fat Boy Wheel.....would be a rotor with a 2 1/4"inch center hole. There is a lip in the center on the solid wheel, preventing a 2"inch/center rotor from going on.
Doug

I think the best solution for you would be to use a rear wheel speedo drive kit and drive the speedo from the rear wheel if the rear wheel still has the stock setup

JP Cycles

Brian

Hi Brian, That is an idea! What years did Harley have rear driven speedometers on big twins? The rear has a normal 16" wheel on it.
Would it be a big/expensive job to somehow convert to some kind of electronic speedo system? Would I have to use some kind of hall effect pickup arrangement? Thanks!
Doug

I do not know if Harley ever fitted the speedo drive to the rear wheel i just know that kits are available to fit a speedo drive to the rear wheel primarily for people who wanted a custom front wheel
I have never looked into converting to an electronic speedo however i would think it may be a more costly option and it may be very difficult to get the turn signal cancel to work

Brian

Back