free website stats program Speedo stuck? | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo stuck?

JPjr28

My ignition module and regulator fried a while back, got that taken care of but the speedo and odo doesnt work now. I cleaned the sensor (for the sleedo) so i know its not that. Any ideas?
Thanks

Its a 99 FXD

Last edited by a moderator:
My ignition module and regulator fried a while back, got that taken care of but the speedo and odo doesnt work now. I cleaned the sensor (for the sleedo) so i know its not that. Any ideas?
Thanks

Did the speedo work for awhile after the IM & VR where replaced?

If it didn't, I would suspect the speedo itself was also a casualty of the bad VR.
Although don't chuck a new speedo on that hunch alone.

Cleaning the fuzz off the VSS doesn't rule out if its good or bad. I'm not sure if they can be tested like a CKP or not.

Bike runs great. Front signals work fine but rear are dim. Im working on getting a new tail light.
So no way to test the speedo?

Bike runs great. Front signals work fine but rear are dim. Im working on getting a new tail light.

I'm not sure how to test the speedo. It may be time to have a dealer test it. No matter where you get a new or used speedo it is a dealer install, they need to set the mileage correctly.

Maybe someone else will chime in here with more info.

Check all fuses carefully.

If the tail light is dim, there could be a loose ground and if that same ground is used for the speedo and the speedo requires a certain voltage, that could be your issue.
Have you gotten an electrical manual and checked the voltages and resistance to the speedo yet?

Back