free website stats program Speedo quits then bike dies 2010 FXDC | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo quits then bike dies 2010 FXDC

Heck52

My wife and I were on a trip to see our brand new grandchild and about 3 hrs into the ride I just happen to catch the speedo go to 0 then the engine light cam on so I pulled the clutch in to pull over and the engine died. Sat for about a min then she started right up. Now I had noticed the speedo once in awhile dropping to about 10mph or so then start to work again. My Sportser would do this also. Later that day we rode to our other daughter and the bike ran great. It also got colder later in the day. Rode bike all the way home about 100 miles and no problems. But a colder day. I live in norther WI so a hot day is 80 cold is 65. When the bike quit it was 87. I check codes and found that the VSS was bad. P0501 and P0502. I put a new one in and found the old one had been nicked by something. In the self help section I found that a bad VSS can cause the engine to stall. I think in the cooler weather it was fine, but when it got hot and the engine was hot it started to fail. Anyway we'll see if this fixed it. By the way this is at 16500 miles.

No I did not get the extended warranty. It only took about 10 min. to replace and the sensor was 54.00. I tell ya, for a speed sensor it sure can cause a worry on a trip. Nothing worse than the bike just quiting. The check engine light only came on for a second. I was lucking to catch it or I would have never known that I had a code. Speedo died, check engine light came on, engine died, check engine light went out, restarted bike. The only thing I did notice was when I turned the ing switch back on and the self check turned the check engine light off, it would come back on for a second or so then out again. Not sure what that means. Maybe that there are uncleared codes. Anybody have any ideas? Once I cleared codes and changed sensor that stopped. PS there was not any metal filings on the sensor.

I think you did a fine job of diagnosing and repairing. A little patience in the self help area can pay off. :bigsmiley12:

Thanks, the self help has saved me some money staying away from the dealer a couple of times. Its a great resource. So far the 2010 96 engine has had almost no problems. Keeping fingers crossed.

Just an update. I took the bike for a 200 mile ride and it ran flawless. Back on the road again.

Back