free website stats program Speedo quit working | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo quit working

Stevo4204

I have a 1995 FXDS-Conv. Tonight as I was cruising down the highway, my speedo needle all of a sudden jumped to 80mph, stuck there and would not move. I stopped and shut the bike off and when I restarted and started moving, the speedo worked for about 2 miles and once again, jumped to 80mph and stayed there even as I ran the speed up and down. Stopped and turned the bike off and took off again. Same thing only this time, the analog numbers went away. Once again, I turned the power off and restarted. Nothing!!!!!!!!!!! Any ideas where to start trouble shooting? I did remove the back of the speedo and all wires are tight. I traced the wiring under the tank to the plug under the seat and then down to the back of the tranny. I can find no obvious wiring issues. Thanks for any thoughts on where I might turn to fix my ol bike.

Check your VSS (vehicle speed sensor) for fuzz build up.It is located on the top of the tranny and held in place by an allen screw.If fuzzed clean it off and try it again.General consensus here is to replace it because it will pretty soon fail anyway. If you have a service manual that will help you. There may be a test for it electrically, I don't know but Hoppie will.Maybe he will along shortly.
tourbox

I have a 1995 FXDS-Conv. Tonight as I was cruising down the highway, my speedo needle all of a sudden jumped to 80mph, stuck there and would not move. I stopped and shut the bike off and when I restarted and started moving, the speedo worked for about 2 miles and once again, jumped to 80mph and stayed there even as I ran the speed up and down. Stopped and turned the bike off and took off again. Same thing only this time, the analog numbers went away. Once again, I turned the power off and restarted. Nothing!!!!!!!!!!! Any ideas where to start trouble shooting? I did remove the back of the speedo and all wires are tight. I traced the wiring under the tank to the plug under the seat and then down to the back of the tranny. I can find no obvious wiring issues. Thanks for any thoughts on where I might turn to fix my ol bike.

You did check the battery connections, especially the ground, for tightness, right? That was the first thing I noticed, speedo needle and odo numbers, when my battery went south!

Harley Davidson Community Check this out after cleaning the magnetic pick up. If the battery and or the charging system is acting up it can cause this problem also, I had a dead shorted battry do this a long time ago, it drove me crazy trouble shooting it

See here:

Speedometer malfunctioning - VSS Issue - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Thank all of you for the suggestions. After checking the battery, grounds and the VSS with no positive results, I broke down and took the bike to my local dealership. The mechanic there, Wade, had a speedo tester. My speedo failed all tests. So now I am looking for a 1995, (one year model only) speedo for a FXDS. None to be found. Ive been told that a newer, 67025-99A will fit, I just have to do some wiring majic. Its winter here in Montana for awhile so I will have time to fix it right. Goal is to leave the bike as stock as possible.

Had the same thing happen to my Convertible (98) a few years ago. Mine just flat-out quit working. Went through the same checks you did, and finally went to the dealer, where they used their tool, and told me the same thing. Luckily, mine was available, and they even programmed the same amount of miles into it.

Back