free website stats program Speedo problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo problem

I have a 2007 Streetglide. The speedo has been going to 0 at highway speed. typically it occurs when downshift from 6th to 5th at about 80 and gas on it. i loose the speedo and 6th gear indicator. if i back off the thottle and shift back to 6th everything comes back online. The dealer has been trying to fix this issue since last summer. they have replaced the sensor. hooked monitoring equipment to the bike and miled it up a bit and have been unable to duplicate the problem. After one incident i pulled the starter and checked the plug, the plastic was bent back allowing a loose connection. I situated the plug correctly and had no issues over the winter riding the bike to work a couple of miles a day at a top speed of 45 or so. Any one have any ideas? the bike is still under waranty.

The speedo and the 6th gear indicator are both actuated by the pickup on the trans, there's no actual switch for the 6th gear indicator but rather a function of the engine speed verses road speed that lights the light. Possible a bad connection in the circuit or bad connection at the ecm or the serial bus line at the speedo. It's not going to be an easy thing to find without spending some time on the problem.

Im going to drop it off at the dealer tonight and let them go another round with it. gonna be raining here for the next week or so anyway. Thanks for the response Glider.

well, the dealer says they have located the problem. The problem duplicated while they had the electronic recording equipment on it and they say it is a short to ground in the harness somwhere between the ECM and the front of the bike and is covered by waranty. then they pushed the bike back back in line with the others. Dropped it off 5-14. stopped back by 5-21 and they said they had forgotten about it but promised to start 5-22. checked back 5-23 and they didn't get around to it so i took the bike home and rode it Memorial day weekend and dropped it back off Memorial day around 3pm. They promised to start tracing the wire (said they knew which wire it was) the following day. Checked back Wednesday after work and lo and behold the guy that was to work on it had that day off but they werent sure why he hadnt looked at it Tuesday but promised that it would be the first bike on the lift Thursday. Dropped by there after work and guess what? They said they had put it on the lift but the Big HOG rally started today and they got covered up and had to set it aside to fix other bikes that were coming in from out of town. I hate to be a (EDIT) but do i need to contact the motor company? This is terrible customer service.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going by there today to pick up my bike. I will try to get them to show me the wire that they think is shorting to ground on a diagram and trace it back myself tonight. The dealer has really done some wacky things reassembling the bike in the past after trying to diagnose this problem anyway. I had just assume they keep their hands off of it. Will post what i find.

the red wire with the white stripe running from the speed sensor to the front fairing had overheated propably due to the short so i pulled it and replaced it. not sure if that is the only problem or not but it seems to be working now. Electrical issues are a hoot. never did see any exposed wire though. still concerned. it will either continue to work or burn i guess.:newsmile090:

Back