free website stats program Speedo problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo problem

adamk

The bike I recently bought was dropped by someone who test rode it before I did.

In that fall, the speedometer apparently broke. The odometer works fine, but the speedometer never resets to 0. With the bike stopped, it shows something between 40 and 70mph, and goes up from there.

It seems that the speedo is not serviceable. I guess I'm just going to just have to replace it.

The bike is a 2000 xlh 883.

Does anyone know what part #'s will work?

Thanks!

I bought it from the previous owner. And, yes, he did take a $100 off what was already a good price because of the broken speedo.

There are speedos on ebay from $50-150. It looks like it should be an easy fix. I just need to make sure that I get the right one; that's why I'm looking for the part #.

If you unscrew the back plate and pull the speedo out you can see the part#
It will be something like 67037-00b or some such.

I'm sure you can find online the number if you goggle 2000 883 speedo replacement.

When I read the title of this thread I was afraid someone had gone to Europe for a beach vacation!

Please say it ain't so!!

As for the OP's problem.. If you can't reset the trip ODO or switch from the trip ODO to total miles ODO, you'll need a new one.

SledDog:

The odometer works fine. It's the speedo that won't reset to zero. See Photo #1. At a dead stop, it shows 70mph.

Ken & Glider:

Thanks. I didn't realize there would be a sticker there.

I pulled it apart. Unfortunately, things still aren't clear. It seems the original owner swapped out the speedo unit when he moved to drag bars. And there are now _two_ stickers with different part #'s on the speedo.

The one of the bottom says this. I'm guessing that is the actual part number for what's on there now.

"67406-99A"

But along the side of the speedo, there are two more stickers:

"67037-98B 10/05/05"

"REINSTATED MILEAGE"

I think I'm going to go with the assumption that I need a 67406. But, I'd love a 2nd opinion on that?

speedo1.jpg

70 mph

speedo2.jpg

"67406-99A"

speedo3.jpg

"67037-98B 10/05/05" "REINSTATED MILEAGE"

I can only assume that either will work.

The 67037-98B is the part number I used to replace the speedo on my '96 883Sportster. Worked fine. Easy replacment for you, it'll be a plug and play.
Mine was hard wired due to having the tach also.

I can only assume that either will work.

The 67037-98B is the part number I used to replace the speedo on my '96 883Sportster. Worked fine. Easy replacment for you, it'll be a plug and play.
Mine was hard wired due to having the tach also.

I believe if you have the VIN# and are the registered owner, the HD company will also "recertify a replacement one" with the right mileage if you are so inclined, which is probably what the original dealer did. :coffee

Back