free website stats program Speedo & Odometer quit working | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo & Odometer quit working

NCBILL

My 06 Sportster Service and Repair manual from HD states that if the backlight on my speedo quits working, there is no bulb replacement, and the owner will need to replace the unit itself. Mine is not working and neither is the odometer. Does one failed component (speedo backlight) affect the other (odometer readout)?

Check all fuses first. Any codes?
Take a look here.

If your speedometer stops registering speed and your odometer does not move as far as registering miles traveled, you also realize that your directional signals do not self cancel, your engine could be running differently and stalling, your problem is more than likely the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the transmission. It collects metal particles that are from the wear in the transmission being that it is a magnetic pickup that reads off the 4 th gear cog in the transmission. You can clean it off then replace it, but most times it will go bad again real soon. The best thing to do is replace it. I believe the cost is around $50. A simple repair requiring one bolt for removal. It's located on the transmission just behind the rear pipe. A good quality gear lube will just about eliminate this problem.

The magnetic speed sensor pick up gets fouled from the metal shavings in the transmission which causes the speedo to stop working and the directionals to stop self canceling because of no input to the ECM from the sensor. The ECM thinks that the bike is standing still because of no input. It will also set a code which gives you a red light on the dash.
Use of a good gear oil will almost eliminate this problem completely.

The sensor pickup is a bit more hidden on the later 07- model bikes under the starter.
To the right of the VSS is the Neutral safety switch with the two plugs on it and to the left is the main battery ground connection if you ever need to clean it.

Fuses all good, self-cancelling DOES work properly, cannot bring up codes without odo functioning. Appreciate the tip on the sensor, will tackle that after dinner tonight.

UPDATE: I just finished removing the speed sensor, located on right rear top of tranny, wiped it clean, nothing on the magnet other than an oil film, re-installed, test rode, and still nothing has changed. Speedo backlight, speedometer, and odometer continue to be inoperable. Back to the drawing board....

Mine was the same way.
Did you ever find out what was wrong with it?
Nothing stated in their Service and Repair Manual, but, for some nagging reason, I suspect when the speedo backlight quits working, along with the odo display, it might be time to replace the entire unit, which makes ZERO sense, to me.

I didnt get anywere with it. Im starting to think speedo is shot.
My bike, according to the previous owner, only had 5,021 miles on it when he parked it. I believe him because he used to work with me on years of different jobs. When we had to go out of state for work he always split motel and fuel costs, and just 2 years ago I re-jetted the carb for him and the bike only had 4600 miles on it at that time. I'm not quite ready to give up on it, researching a lot from varied sources, and actually have a couple more power / continuity checks to perform on the wiring harness. Patience is key....

Back