free website stats program speedo not working | Harley Davidson Forums

speedo not working

hogga

have a 83 roadster speedo (EDIT) out pulled cable out an cleaned it tryed it still nothing ends looked good, is the end on the wheel supposed to be free it turns a lil each way,i made sure it went into place when i reinstalled it , do i need a new cable or look into the hub on the wheel thanks for the help hogga:worthy
Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be an idea to check that the small tongue on the end of the speedo drive unit is inserted in a slot on the wheel/brake disc
also raise the front wheel and spin it and look at the cable end disconnected from the speedo the end should be turning
from my experience of this type of problem the inner cable has snapped about 1" from the drive unit on the wheel

Brian

If you have pulled the inner all the way out and you have 2 squared ends id say the inner is ok and youd need to start looking at the drive unit or the speedo for the problem
so disconnect from the speedo and still connected to the drive unit and spin the wheel to see if the speedo end of the cable rotates or not
if it rotates then the speedo is bust if it does not rotate then its drive cable/ drive unit problem

Brian

Back