free website stats program Speedo malfunctioning | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo malfunctioning

wolfheads

I have a 2000 dyna low rider and my speedo started acting up while I was crusing around 60 today. The speedo stopped working and the engine light came on. When I engaged the clutch and let it idle down, it started back working and the engine light went off. When I let off the clutch and brought the rpms back up, the speedo went to zero again and the engine light came back on. The odometer went blank also. As long as the rpms are low, there's no problem. Any help on the solution?

That was the problem. The magnet on the speed sensor looked like a pocupine. I'm running Red Line gear oil. 80w140.

Thanks

Well, that wasn't the problem. It worked for a few minutes and started messing up again. I may just need to replace the speed sensor.

One other thing, until I get a speed sensor from the dealership, will it hurt the bike to still ride it? (my car's in the shop and the bike's the only way I have to go.)

Thanks

I replaced the speed sensor and the problem is still there. I bring up the RPM's and the odometer blinks a few times the goes blank, the engine light comes on and the speedometer stops working. At idle, everything starts back working. Bring up the RPM's and it starts messing up again. Not sure what to check next. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Not sure what to check next. Any suggestions?

You probably have a high voltage code. Place a voltmeter directly across the battery. Start engine and read the voltage at 3000 RPM. If it goes above 14.70 volts or is in the 15's, the voltage regulator is bad.

I checked out the battery and connections. All check out good. I hate to have to take it to the dealership but it looks like that's where I'm headed.

Would a bad regulator cause the speedo not to work at higher RPM's and the odometer to go out and the engine light to come on? When at idle, all works good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your charging system to see if it is over charging, had same problem last week and it turned out to be voltage regulator was bad and it was actually over charging.

Would a bad regulator cause the speedo not to work at higher RPM's and the odometer to go out and the engine light to come on? When at idle, all works good.

You probably have a high voltage code. Place a voltmeter directly across the battery. Start engine and read the voltage at 3000 RPM. If it goes above 14.70 volts or is in the 15's, the voltage regulator is bad.

?? I don't know what your looking for in an answer? It can't be put in more basic terms.

Back