free website stats program Speedo dies when engine hot (Help)?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo dies when engine hot (Help)??

ZZroadking

Well I was driving my 05 RK Classic and noticed the speedo quit. It was hot out and the engine was quite hot. I started to pull over and it stalled. OK, I restarted and it worked again. Changed the oil thinking it could help as it was old,next day I drove on the hwy 2 hrs @ 72 degrees and no issues. Later in the city it started again (speedo) and the engine was running HOT. I would pull over and restart and would work again. Took it on the hwy at appr 58 temp rode 20 min it quit again, this time the engine light came on. I am thinking it came on as it was in the process of stalling. The engine also sounded rough like missing Vibrating. Speedo kept quitting all the way home. I would pull over and restart with no probs (can't afford a ticket from the Mounties!). As well the cruise would not work (on HWY) when speedo quit. The ODO does not work as well. I believe the turn signals also would not cancel either.

Sick pls help...

Glider:
Hi,
I am pleased to tell you my recourse for the problem..
First of all I hope your holiday was a blast!
I am glad I listened to your suggestion on my speedo issue. You were bang on on your diagnosis. It was the VSS. Although perhaps not in the usuall fault method. It was covered by silver film on about a 5th of the nipple. I thought great, I can return the sensor I already bought after I clean it! Well I decided to work back and check the whole plug all the way back to the connection behind the ECM. I pulled the plug and lo and behold the three exposed colored wires were all cut through to the coppers! It seems that the wire has movement when riding and it rubbed against the the side of the entry behind the ECM cutting through! Bingo!!
Well I taped the new plug and taped the entry so it should not rub again.
Runs like a charm now! Saved some $$.
Thanks again,

Good deal. Great to hear it fixed your problem. No dealer visits the the HD store (hundred dollar)

Back