free website stats program Speedo/Code Problems 03 dyna (Next Step?) | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo/Code Problems 03 dyna (Next Step?)

100yrdyna

03 dyna fxd 4000 miles.

odometer/speedo go blank and drop out then check engine light goes on.
Also turn signals do not cancel. bike runs good slight backfire on downshift

I am able to receive codes 16, and 44 from the check engine side. Also codes from the speedo are 02set and 08set. From the info I gathered I started to diagnose and replace. Code 16 is either high or low voltage and code 44 is within the TSM/(NO TSSM on this bike). I replace the voltage reg ($80), inspect wires and no change. Then I go after the TSM replace it with a new one. No change. I read more and find my symptoms could be the speed sensor. But the bike not canceling and the code 44 lead me to believe it was the TSM, but no luck.
I have oreded a new speed sensor...but heres my question. The bike will start without the speed sensor connected but still acts the same way. So Im thinking that even when I replace this sensor I will not have solved the problem.

I also am able to reset the speedo codes but NOT the check engine light codes (unless i want to start it 50 times) but the light will come on when riding so I am assuming the code is current.

I am having fun with this and have only spent a couple hundred bucks. I probably will buy the scan code machine from daytona.

Am I missing something.
Thanks all for any input

Frank

Thank you

I am user the 03 dyna guide and have the code meanings. When I disconnect the speed sensor (under seat) the problem still exists. I have tried to wiggle the wire to the speedo to reproduce the check engine but no luck.

***UPDATE FIXED PROBLEM*****
Going by the symptoms ....I traced it from the connector of the speed sensor...the speed sensor as well has the TSM and voltage regulator were all ok....the problem was the connecter from the speed sensor to the speedo. The wire was getting pinched behind the speedo when the plate was fastened.

Hope this help guys with an 03 dyna

Frank

Welcome to the HDTimeline forum 100yrdyna...very good you found the problem and thank you so much for sharing. Don't know if you noticed, but there are tabs near the top of this page that allow you to access the Self Help tips easily, and the Search tab when you type in a couple of keywords can help you access threads related to your topic of interest. There are many tools to help you enjoy the forum.

Back